*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733377-The-One-That-Got-Away-A-short-story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#733377 added September 5, 2011 at 10:47pm
Restrictions: None
The One That Got Away: A short story
30-Day Blogging Challenge September 1 to September 30, 2011 ~ Day 5 Prompt: "What if the "one that got away", the person who absolutely ripped your heart to shreds, came crawling back to you begging for another chance? How would you handle the situation?"


My cell phone rang at 1:00 AM, since I could not sleep and had nothing else to do; I answered it.

“I, Easy Lovin’, remember me?” A male voice said.

How could I not remember George? He was the only guy who ever called me “Easy Lovin’”, the song he always played on the jukebox. However, I was in no mood to play games, unless we played by my rules.

“Is that you, Harvey?”

“No!”

“In that case give me a clue,” I grinned revealing my toothless gums, so it was probably a good thing he couldn’t see me.

“We met at a greasy spoon in Oklahoma.”

“Oh, you’re Georgie Poorgie,” I used the nickname he hated most.

“It’s George,” he sound really pissed, but I was having fun.

“So how’d you get my cell phone number?”

“I called your mother.”

I knew that was a lie, but I was still unable to sleep and there was nothing good on television, so I continued the game.

“What are you doing in Vegas?”

“Looking for a job, I just arrived and have no place to stay.”

“Home in Vegas and winter on the way. George, you are really in trouble. I suggest you try St. Vincent’s or one of the other homeless shelters.”

“I don’t run a homeless shelter and I charge anyone staying in my spare room or sleeping in my garage or on my patio. The garage and patio are available, but the spare room has an occupant.” I lied, the only thing in my spare room was an empty bed, leaning against the wall and some cloths I still have to put away.

“After all we meant to each other you’re not going to give me a break?”

“Only if it’s an arm or leg,” if memory serves me correctly he could manage to break those things himself.

He hung up.

“Obviously,” I smiled as I laid my phone down, “he still has no sense of humor.”

© Copyright 2011 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733377-The-One-That-Got-Away-A-short-story