*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734290-What-words-do-we-want-to-last
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#734290 added September 17, 2011 at 1:33am
Restrictions: None
What words do we want to last?
...what words do we etch on paper or engrave on stone, with what do we seek to connect the hearts?

What then to say about life? Other than "keep living". Yep. It might get better or it may not. After visiting England and numerous gravestones I can tell you that some folks have been dead a looooong time. Live now.

And be careful what you have engraved on stone (or what you post on facebook). Your words may outlive you by centuries.

Doom'd to receive half
that my Soul held dear,
The other half with Grief
she left me here;
Ask not her Name for
she was true and just,
Once a fine Woman
now a heap of Dust.


~ In St. Peter's graveyard, Barton-upon-Humber


What words do writers wish would outlive them? So many were known as novelists or short story writers while they considered themselves poets (or vice versa). Others just considered themselves in non-writer terms.

And how long should they last? In Hayfield one walks on the slate headstones of ages past. In Barton-upon-Humber one well-known grave-marker amuses us ...or not. In Stow there's an etching of a viking ship on a wall. And at the barrows and henges of long-long ago? What symbols remain to show us how they lived and what they thought?

I write to connect. If I try hard enough I may learn how.

ME:

Still somewhat worn out and quite withdrawn. So, today I read poetry from Norway and Bosnia. It helps a little. At least, my Muse appreciated the effort. *Rolleyes*

So, everyday in England I accomplished something... and now? I collapse. My big accomplishment was boiling 8 pairs of you-know-what and greek-sausage-peas-and-pasta. *Shock* In different pots... of course!

And coffee. *CoffeeBl* Lots of coffee. *CoffeeBl* *CoffeeBl* *CoffeeBl* *CoffeeBl* *Bigsmile*
23,879

© Copyright 2011 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734290-What-words-do-we-want-to-last