*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/735276-Vinyl-Record-Memories-from-my-childhood
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#735276 added September 29, 2011 at 3:44pm
Restrictions: None
Vinyl Record Memories from my childhood
30-Day Blogging Challenge September 1 to September 30, 2011 ~ Day 29 Prompt: You remember the old days of the web? How the sites looked like with only html coding and/or old levels of flash? When blogs were limited? Aside the web there were cassette tapes, floppy discs, VCDs and LDs and we used to make mixes on the tapes to listen in our car as the CD players were unavailable or expensive. And of course the CRT monitors which were really small compared to the monitors we have today.

Write about this past in many paragraphs if need be. Write about vinyl records, the walkmans that were the predecessors to the iPOD, the first mobile phones, etcetera. Write your memories about them and how much they mean to you. Even if you were born in the late 90's or so I bet technology still has progressed and you might have seen your parents' old things.

So, write on the nascent years of the tech generation ^_^


I remember vinyl records. I grew up listening to my Grandparents’ Victrola. For those of you who do not know what I am writing about, a Victrola (at least the one my Grandparents owned) was a record radio combination about the size of an office desk. It sit in the corner of their living room.

Grandpa and Grandma had an extensive collection of records. Some of the records I remember because we often played them. One record was about a soldier who came home from the war (probably World War II) and found his wife had married again because she thought he was dead. She had received a telegram that said he was “missing in action”.

Another record I remember had the following words:
Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette,
Smoke, smoke, smoke it tell you smoke yourself to death,
Tell Saint Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hates to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette.

Nicotine addicts (fiends) are all the same,
At a pettin’ party or a poker game
Everything’s gotta stop
While you smoke that cigarette.


I enjoyed listening to my Grandparents play the records. In fact, that is how I learned to use a record player. I would turn on the Victorla, put the records on and just listen to them. My Grandparents had Christmas records and all sorts of different records to play. I never got tired of listening to the vinyl records.

© Copyright 2011 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/735276-Vinyl-Record-Memories-from-my-childhood