*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737750-Short-Fuse
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#737750 added October 24, 2011 at 5:41pm
Restrictions: None
Short Fuse
I had a very long, meandering whine ready to post in my blog today, but yet again life has ensured it be put on hold while we deal with another unexpected situation. Excuse any phrases in this entry which appear in upper case or bold font, but I'm about ready to blow a fuse and need to vent my anger somehow.

We received news this morning my Dad has had yet another fall and due to a bump on the head the proprietor of the care home had taken him to hospital last night to have him checked out. The hospital decided to keep him in overnight for observation.

Later this morning I recieved a call from the nurse who is in charge of my Dad expressing concern. I was very surprised as almost all my dealings with the hospital in the past have been problematic and could hardly be described as caring.

She first asked me if I knew he's covered in bruises and asked if I knew why. I explained he had three falls last week, is 91, bruises easily and is very frail. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY COULD WORK THAT OUT FOR THEMSELVES.

Her next question was if I knew why he keeps falling. Again I explained the frequency of these phases and that factors include a drop in blood pressure when he stands, not eating enough, being 91 and very frail. I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY ONLY NEEDED TO LOOK AT HIS RECORDS TO ASCERTAIN THIS.

She next asked me if he lives full time at the care home. I explained that had become essential after his history of falling and the fire that resulted after the last lot.

Then she informed me they could not send him back to the care home today as he's at risk of having a serious fall. A LITTLE LATE TO DECIDE THAT AFTER YEARS OF BEING IN AND OUT OF HOSPITAL, A BROKEN HIP AND HAVING TO BE DRAGGED FROM A BURNING BUILDING.

In fact, she continued, they'd be unable to send him back until they'd assessed how he's managed to acquire so much bruising. I couldn't resist telling her no one has ever bothered before and he's frequently been sent home to an empty house with no concerns for his injuries or future safety.

I think she got the impression I was annoyed. She concluded she'd be in touch with the care home, but for now they'll keep him in hospital.

DO THEY THINK I'M TOTALLY STUPID? Suddenly, after years of fighting the powers that be and attempting to convince them my father was not safe to live alone, they've decided to intervene. WHY?

Without actually saying it, she's inferring the irregular bruising needs to be investigated in case the wounds have been inflicted by the care home. WHY DON'T THEY GET ON WITH NURSING INSTEAD OF SURMISING CRAP?

I have spent most of the day discussing matters with the staff of the care home who I KNOW are the kindest, most caring and patient people ever to have dealings with my Dad. If the hospital pursue this line of enquiry it could cause them a lot of problems and damage their wonderful reputation.

IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL. I swear there've been so many incidents with the hospital I could probably sue them for if I had the time and inclination, yet now he's in a care home they can't wait to lay blame at someone else's feet and insist he stay in their hands until such time as they feel he's safe to return. BLOODY HYPOCRITES.

I'll be visiting the hospital later and think I'll have all on to refrain from thumping someone. I was looking at ways of reducing my high blood pressure naturally, but suspect by now it's gone through the roof. Stress and alcohol are two factors I know, but right now I'm not sure I care enough with what I've seen of longevity and the attitude of our caring, sharing NHS. HA BLOODY HA.

© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737750-Short-Fuse