*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737823-Time-out
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1718540
Day to day stuff....a memoir without order.
#737823 added October 25, 2011 at 9:32am
Restrictions: None
Time out...
The book sale was amazing, as usual, my heaven on earth. I don't know about other places, but in my town, it is a big deal. It is held in a warehouse on Main Street. This year the weather was perfect, so cool the overhead fans were not necessary. Customers range in age from very young, five or six, to very old. I saw a white-hared lady in a wheelchair who looked around eighty, and some tiny tots sitting on the floor reading their favorites on the spot.

I take two grocery shopping bags since they are made for hefty stuff. They haven't failed me yet. My alltime forever favorite table is the art section, but I save that for last. This year as usual I visited the music, videos, and dvd section first. It is huge. And packed with people. When I am in a store, I cringe when someone sidles up to me and reaches over my shoulder to look at something. But at the book sale, I develop a whole different personality, pushing and shoving with the best of them *Laugh*, in good humor all around. After all, who could have a long face when you can buy Fried Green Tomatoes for a quarter? Along with several dvd's, I picked up some pop music lead sheets. I play the piano, not well, just for my own enjoyment.

Next stop was the classics table (not sure how they define classics), sad to say, not nearly as crowded. I selected Uncle Tom's Cabin and Thomas Wolfes' The Web and the Rock. He made me think about Asheville, N.C., and how beautiful the trees must be now. My daughter lived there for a while, and I delved a little into its history. She sent me some amazing photos of the fall scenery.

I like to browse through the arts and crafts sections and the pet books, especially cats. Gardening is interesting and they have a section marked "higher priced" for first editions and other specialties that I cannot pass by, all the time getting closer to the art table. I spend most of my time there, looking through books of beautiful pictures, even old art calendars and prior year journals or day books that people have bought and never used, then donated for the sale. All kinds of how-to books are available for watercolor, colored pencil, charcoal, oils, acrylics, pencil, drawing animals, the human body, plants, landscapes, ... you name it, it's there. People even donate pictures they have drawn, and if you take the time, some are fascinating. I always make my biggest haul from this stop.

Needless to say, I had a wonderful time at the sale, and now I'm looking forward to the next one in April *Smile*

until next time....c

© Copyright 2011 Have a sunshiny day! (UN: biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Have a sunshiny day! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737823-Time-out