*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737836-electricity
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1411600
The Good Life.
#737836 added October 25, 2011 at 9:49am
Restrictions: None
electricity
It's highly underrated.

I left my laptop power supply at work, and the battery is of course dead. Now, back in the old days, we would shrug and do something else, like watch TV, do the laundry, or read a book. Or heaven forbid, go for a walk or something.

I'm addicted to technology.

The fam gets on me all the time for having a PC permanently glued to my lap. And today, after finding myself laptopless, I first went down to the (dungeon) teenager's room and tried to use the old desktop. That worked for a bit, but unlike the teen, I know a little about old desktops. It's been slow. Well, turns out the master drive is an old drive Keith threw in to salvage his photos and music files, and his slave drive is the original (huge and mostly empty) hard drive that came with the computer. Remember master and slave drives? So I'm opening up the computer, unplugging hard drives, tried switching them, unplugging one and then the other, switching the data cable (remember ribbon cables?), and rebooting between each sequence. No luck. Ah... the jumpers. But I have to remove and disassemble the hard drive compartment to read the labels on the drives...

And I realize I'm doing all this just to get online, blog, check the school schedule in Google docs, update the October prep forum, update the spreadsheet and web page, write my 750 words, write my own prep exercises, send out close out email with an apology for missing yesterday, logging into quickbooks and chase and reconciling accounts, and finding subs and rescheduling teachers. Hard drives and jumpers were really standing in my way; there had to be a better way.

So now I'm on the 10 year old's Acer tablet, which is like an ipad knock off. The virtual keyboard is a pain in the ass. I can't even open scroll. Can't type fast enough to do 750 words without possibly losing out on my cheetah badge, which I'm one entry away from winning. Prep updates are out of the question; I can't even figure out how to highlight text let alone copy/paste.

And yet, here I am blogging on this stupid thing. It just goes to show you how addicted to technology I am. In fact, I'm thinking that after I fold the laundry and take the dog for a walk (two tasks I wouldn't even be doing if my laptop were operational), I think I'll just head in to work six hours early so I can get some shit done. And tonight? I shall remember my power supply when I return home.

© Copyright 2011 BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ (UN: tuozzo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737836-electricity