*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/739288-The-Vogue-Travel-Club
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1800008
A daily walk with... ME
#739288 added November 11, 2011 at 11:31pm
Restrictions: None
The Vogue Travel Club
I met the girls in my club through Jean, my Houston neighbor. We met merely by accident one day back in 1988.
You can read about how I met Jean in:
STATIC
A Gift at the Door  (13+)
Friendship knocks when you least expect it.
#1608059 by Winnie Kay

After meeting Jean, I soon met her two sisters, Jay and Loy. I was a workaholic at the bank and had little time for friends. When I met the "girls" and their husbands, we just clicked, like we'd known each other forever. Along with Betty and Lura, from Palestine Texas, we formed a club. We called it The Olympia Gold Beer Drinking Raindrop Counting Vogue Travel Club. We were all at the beach one weekend drinking Olympia Gold beer and it started to rain. Thus the name. We all went to Puerto Villarta, Mexico, for a week in 1990 and Aculpulco in 1991. We've held several beauty pageants (just us) in Betty's home in Palestine Texas where we dressed up in formals and used psuedo names and spoke with British accents as we each walked the "runway" of Betty's living room and, on video camera, presented ourselves to the world. I was Miss Possum Blossom. My name was Winifred Whitestone in that particular pageant. We slept all night in a real Indian teepee Halloween night in 1994. It was 28 degrees that night. My Indian name was Fears Bugs Will Get On Her (I was afraid of bugs). We crashed a parade in downtown Palestine during the Jalepeno Fiesta one year. Some friend of Betty's loaned us his vintage cadillac convertable and Loy dressed up as Ms Vogue and we rode in the parade. The town folk really thought she was THE Ms Vogue and asked for her autograph. We've spent many summer vacations at Loy and Bill's beach house just sitting on the porch and laughing and acting silly. I've been working on a story about the group but it's still in the draft stage. Jean is 80 years old now, but still has a lot of life in her. I see her often. Her sister Loy is 78, and her sister Jay is 67. Betty (Loy's best friend since highschool) is 78 and Lura is 83. I'm the baby of the group at 64. We've had some good times together. When one of us hits hard times, the others come running. Good friends are eternal treasures.



© Copyright 2011 Winnie Kay (UN: winniekay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Winnie Kay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/739288-The-Vogue-Travel-Club