*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/741015-This-ones-about-a-loss-in-the-community
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#741015 added December 3, 2011 at 9:38pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about a loss in the community.
Good evening everybody....slow day around here. Was gonna go to a Christmas party that my friend and his wife hold every year, but wasn't feeling up to it after working 5:45am-2pm unloading a truck. Waited for Jess the CWC to get home, took a weak nap, and here I am.

I do want to share a story about a local sportswriter who passed today. Allen Wilson was a beat writer for The Buffalo News for quite a long time. He was well respected not only in the community, but by the Buffalo Bills and nationally syndicated sports journalists.

I never had a chance to meet him, but I read his columns all the time and it almost seemed like you got a good feel for who he was as a person through the way he covered athletes or crafted his commentary on pressing sports issues of the day.

Here's The Buffalo News' obit on Allen: http://www.buffalonews.com/deaths/local-obituaries/article654586.ece

For another touching tribute and testimonial regarding Allen and the kind of person he was, please visit Nick Mendola's blog, located on the left of this page under Offsite Blogs. Thoughts and prayers go out to Allen's family, friends, co-workers, and anyone who's ever been touched not only by his body of work in The News, but by his body of work in life.

CHRISTMAS MUSICAL BREAK!!

I guess there's a few reasons why I chose this song. While it's non-traditional, it's been around for pretty much every Christmas I can remember (and really, were there any Christmases that happened before I was born? Let the theorists conspire...*Smirk*) so it's practically traditional. Second, I think with all the events that have happened in the world since the last time we changed the Page-A-Day calendar to Dec. 25 (actually I think it was Dec. 25/Dec. 26 on that page, because Christmas fell on a Saturday), this song carries so much more significance this year than years before...think the ending of the war in Iraq, the capturing of Bin Ladin, and all of the people around the world who've suffered in some sort of weather-related debacle that Red Cross recommends we text a country to a 5-digit number to tack $10 extra bucks onto phone bill. That's why we need this song more than ever (even if the Christmas music stations all around the world play this song twenty times a day as it is).

WARNING: There are semi-graphic and slightly traumatizing images in this video. If you are offended easily, or are squeamish, I suggest you skip the clip. -The Ed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg

VITAL STATS:

*Ornament1g* High drama in tonight's Sabres game as I type this....may have to set the DVR so I don't miss a brawl anything.

*Ornament1g* Props to the manager I worked with this morning, for sticking out the truck unloading while simulatneously hugging a garbage can. You earned the rest of the day off for that, sir! And I hope you feel better.

*Ornament1g* It's official...the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS will be back in January! And I've got a title to defend. *Bigsmile*

That's all for tonight...back to the Sabres game for me. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

© Copyright 2011 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/741015-This-ones-about-a-loss-in-the-community