*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744002-This-ones-about-what-time-it-is
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#744002 added January 12, 2012 at 12:19am
Restrictions: None
This one's about what time it is.
THE PROMPT: "Time. We all have it, but nobody completely understands it. What are your thoughts on time?"

Hello, fine people. Such a nice night in The 'Lo. I want you all to, if you would, take a minute and repeat the prompt to yourself, and then think about it. What's wrong with it? Is it because we don't always really have time? Or is it just the thought of me asking you to take an entire minute to read 16 words? *Smirk*

Time. It's really about what it is, and what it isn't. Allow me to spit, twist and reinvent cliches, for time's sake. (I'm on a deadline here. Time is of the essence.)

*Clock2* Time seldom caters to fools, yet it's a boundary that doesn't discriminate. We all have physical time. That physical time being spent usually robs us of our emotional and spiritual time. Time dedicated to something means less-to-no time for other things.

*Clock2* Time means planning; you have the gift, or you don't. One thing's for certain: time waits for no one. "Life happens while you're busy making plans." -John Lennon

*Clock2* To say "time is money" is to speak folly...show me what bank has the minutes of my youth in it, so I can rob it and go back in time, knowing what I know now.

*Clock2* Time isn't just a magazine, although we all know I've got more issues than subscriptions can fulfill.

*Clock2* Most of us are controlled by a clock. Some for a paycheck. For others, it's an internal clock. Some will do anything they can to make it through that eight hour shift; some are counting minutes 'til their next meal. Some can't wait to go on vacation, while others can barely make it to their next paycheck. Whether we know it or not, there's a clock ticking over us with some kind of meaning attached to it.

*Clock2* Time owes us nothing and is never refundable. Nobody gets "time served" for waiting at the drive-thru or being laid-up with a broken neck. You might get second or third chances, but every second is a one-time deal.

*Clock2* I can't find it on WDC (the title escapes me), but I once wrote something that started with these two lines, and I think they're biographical in a general sense:
"It was the time of my life.
It was my life at the time."
I need to find that so I can put it in context to see what I meant. That might take awhile.

*Clock2* Time for a smoke...be right back.

*Clock2* I'm back.

*Clock2* While I agree with the concept both in sports and in disciplining children, I think we're advanced enough to call both something other than a "time out".

*Clock2* Whether we acknowledge it or not, so many things we do in life are governed by time. From the way we work, to how we prepare food, to the way we reminisce over moments passed ("Remember the time we..."), time is the single standard. So much is measured by time; while finite or undetermined, a timeframe is usually what we look at.

*Clock2* And, time is all around us. It's never ending. Seemingly, like this little gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQY7BusJNU&ob=av2e Thank goodness that's over. I thought it'd never end. Time, after time, after time, after time, after...

*Clock2* Time for me to move on.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Best piece of advice I may have ever learned from a song, especially with the time reference: "No need to be void, or save up on life, no, you gotta spend it all." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W801soTVAwo&feature=related

VITAL STATS:

*Music2* I don't care what's happening. On my next non-football day off, I'm finally gonna sit down and watch PJ20. Then I'm gonna thumb through the gigantic PJ20 book. And then I may listen to my entire collection of Pearl Jam live cd's, which is a lot of them. And then I might nap, and do it again.

*Gears* So, G-Stamm at work and I have this long-running, if now not-as-dormant joke about this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HtNG0IFBdY&feature=related Stamm's got his girlfriend's son trained...every time he says "Whoa-oh, Black Betty", the kid says "Amberlamps". It's funny and cute and all. While in the midst of my cleaning up at work last night, I came across a toy vehicle we sell...press its buttons and it plays "Black Betty". I had to bring this to Stamm's attention this morning, and without hesitation he had to buy it. This prompted the following remark on my Facebook Timeline (there's that damn word again!) from his girl, and I quote: "The hate train is on it's way, when you start to hear "black betty"...run. You will need the amberlamps! Lol", to which I responded, "Best. Toy. Ever!!" That song is gonna be that kid's favorite song for years, all because a Vietnam vet kicked the crap outta some punk givin' him a hard time on a bus.

{hockey emoticon wars} I hate my hockey team. #DosomethingDarcy

*Clock2* I can't go into a room without searching for a clock. I don't wear a watch because it becomes a magnet for walls or anything else I can bang it into. I literally am a slave to pretty much every clock I see, be it the alarm clock, the time clock, or the one on my phone.

Let's just call it a night right now, shall we? Time has changed everything, proven us wrong (or right), is or is not on our side, and never ceases in our amazement. Time keeps the world turning, as the Universal Clock once led us to believe. And like The Byrds sang, "Turn, Turn, Turn". Let's hope for the best of them, and not the worst of them. Love you all....GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGc89OTOL0g

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744002-This-ones-about-what-time-it-is