*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746932-This-ones-about-a-tragedy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#746932 added February 12, 2012 at 7:47pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about a tragedy.
THE PROMPT: "Tragedy or near tragedy befalls for (?) from character list."

Well friends, it's another hot pink entry from my trove of stories about my life. Enjoy it while you can.

We knew it was coming, but we couldn't say for sure when.

Jess' grandmother was being moved into Hospice care, and The Get Up Kids were reuniting and going on tour, destined to hit Buffalo at some point.

While Jess handled what she could for her Nani, I went out and bought six tickets for the concert. One for me, Jess and her two boys, and two spares in case friends that wanted to go couldn't get them. Priorities, right? The first few times TGUK came to the area, I'd missed them. For one reason or another, I couldn't go. It took me awhile, and much prodding from my boys Adam and DMFM to get into them, but I fell in love good and hard with them. I got to see them in Niagara Falls before they broke up, and it was a great, if not disappointing show. The bands that played after them would've been nothing without The Get Up Kids.

But TGUK were back! And I was pumped! We made a few visits to Hospice to see Nani, who was in the final stages of dementia. I didn't know her, but it was sad to see her go. I was sad more for everyone else who knew her. All I would hear were stories from those who knew her.

The funeral was planned in her hometown (I believe), weeks after her death and a local service. It was in a town outside of Albany, almost eight hours away. Had I not just started my new position a few months earlier at work, I would've gone. But rules are rules, vacation time wasn't earned yet, and "a girlfriend's grandmother" doesn't qualify one for berevement pay. So Jess and the boys headed out to the burial, and I stayed home.

Of course, that was the same week as the concert. I was sitting on five tickets. I was able to unload a couple...one to DMFM's friend and co-worker, and one to Jess' coworker that we bowled with. I had my little brother and some of the old Penora Crew with me. Plus I had my boys. While I felt my girlfriend's pain, the night was offset by being at the corner of the stage watching a band I'd loved for years. I've been through so much that The Get Up Kids' music has seen me through than anyone could imagine, and it would've been awesome to have Jess and the boys there. It would've been nice to attend the funeral of her grandmother also, to bond more with the family, but in the early stages of a new job, I needed to get paid. Mixed emotions? You tell me.


MUSICAL BREAK!!

Of course I'm going to post songs by The Get Up Kids! Why wouldn't I? *Delight*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PziIz6eL51g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvo0cO-r24&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYm1PDwLrQM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPp8fKjsBUU

And the all-time most heartbreakingly awesomest song ever, where a lyric and a guitar can punch you in the gut and define the definition of emotional music when you miss someone. Yeah, it's so raw and beautiful, it hurts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_3KRIk_bQ The 1:30 minute mark or so is the most amazing thing in music besides these lyrics.

VITAL STATS:

*Suitheart* The microbrews in the fridge didn't stand a chance against me today.

*Rolleyes* Drama only lives on the more you play into it. I'm not playing. And if it continues, I'll have no problem taking my *Pencil* out of the game. Cuz I prefer to keep this zone of my life drama-free. Although, it is my belief that others need to recount themselves first before they go on the "attack", and by "attack", I mean overly worded shots at others that make their reads sound like ego-driven mushmouths. Enough said.

*Clef* It's time to update my Facebook security settings. G-Stamm texted me a funny pic this morning. The backstory? I went to a Halloween party a couple years ago dressed as a candidate for governor of NY. G texts me a pic of Jimmy McMillan that says "Whitney Houston...was too damn high!" I posted it on Facebook, and recieved a few likes and shares for my time. Then I get a message from someone who I'm not even friends with, saying something like "You need to take that pic down. It's offending and you need to respect the dead." This weirdo chick is subscribed to my posts. So I did the right thing. I blocked her. *Smirk* If we're not friends, and you don't know me, may you be blessed along the way of not being a part of my awesomeness.

This chick lives in Buffalo, and once posted on Facebook that she wants to be friends with everybody. There's no way I'd even accept that friend request, and I have too many friends on FB as it stands.

It's cheap beer and Grammy time, I suppose. I've always enjoyed the Grammys for the fun collaborations. But the music I like will never win one. Oh well. Maybe I should hit a crack pipe in honor of a legend. Or maybe not. Whatever you're up to, people, make the best out of it. I'll always love you, if you wanna dance with somebody. If not, GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsr0vt33qM

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746932-This-ones-about-a-tragedy