*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748023-This-ones-about-the-three-Es
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#748023 added February 29, 2012 at 12:20am
Restrictions: None
This one's about the three E's.
THE PROMPT: "TALK about the THREE Es of Writing & Reading"

Good evening folks...sorry I'm late. Worked late and had to drive in the opposite direction to pick up justjessica1 from her store. I'm all driven out! Anyway, so about this prompt...I don't really know what the "THREE Es" of reading and writing are, and I'd like to get to bed at a reasonable hour, so I'm just gonna go with what I think they are. Geez, I spent a couple stints working at for a major bookstore chain, and never once was "THREE Es" mentioned. So here it goes...

Eccentricity

To write something on a level that others are going to want to read, or want to be interested in something enough to care to read it, the item in question should stand out from the crowd. Nobody's going to read the same types stories over and over if they're all the same. Something in the work has to stand out from everything else in the crowd, or it just gets lost on the stacks of shelves in the bookstore or buried in internet minutia.

Emanate

Does what you're writing (or reading) seem forced, or does it all flow cohesively? This is as important as the first "E", but for different reasons. It should sound like steam looks when rising from a pot of boiling water. It should linger with you like the odor of a dead skunk does in your nose long after you've passed it on the road. That's what good reads and good writing feel like.

Ego

Many of you may recall me touching on this topic in "Blog Challenges" in the past, and I think it's very true. People with creative minds and abilities that surpass the common human are more likely to find a proper venue to display their talents. These people would be actors, actresses, writers, artists, singers, musicians, photographers, and I would even include athletes in this mix. Now, why is ego important? Because you want to show off your talent, you want people to notice it, and you want to be liked for it. Think of anyone...author, musician, pro athlete, antone who's set for life because of their accomplishments. John Gresham probably doesn't have to write another sentence for the rest of his life. Paul McCartney doesn't need to write another song or step foot on a stage ever again. If Peyton Manning never takes another snap as a quarterback in the NFL...and never does a silly endorsement commercial either, it won't matter to him. But these folks are still out there, pimpin' their chosen craft. Not only because they love the game, but they love the attention that it gets them. And why is that ego? Because. Don't tell me it's to please their fans. Sure, maybe they want to add to their cache of funds. But more likely, they want to be loved all over for something new. That's why Gresham will hold book signings for his next release, McCartney will tour the globe for his latest album, and Manning is trying to make a comeback after missing an entire season. To be successful, no doubt, your ego plays a part in it. As long as you can keep it in check...and remember, it's not braggin' if you can back it up.


MUSICAL BREAK!!

Ahhhh, nothing is screaming for a musical interlude right now than this entry. Let's see what I can find... the reason for the discrepancy between the name of the actual song and the actual video shown? The drug reference (which may or may not be coincidental) in the actual title. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQetcc2S-Q

VITAL STATS:

*Cart* Slow day today. Not much to report, other than my (female) boss getting hit on by an overweight woman who called her "cute" and said "you look like you're 16!" and "I love what you've done to your hair!". All of which disgusted her enough to question her decisions in highlights, and, I'm assuming, her professional life as well. *Sick*

*Cart* Our store shares a parking lot with a mini strip plaza, a fast-food restaurant, a sit-down restaurant, and on the far side is a gym and a collections call center. Ladies, it's in the mid-30's, it's February, and it's Buffalo. When you're sickly thin, wearing a spandex half-tank and short spandex shorts, people are going to stare at you. It's a fact. Especially if you've been in the store for 10 minutes and you're still shivering. And you've got two metal studs sticking out of your back looking lonely on your bare skin because you haven't had your accompanying tramp stamp tatted on your lower back yet. Yeah, your outfit matched your shoes, and you might be cute, and maybe (I'm hoping) you came from the gym, but I'm telling you, this doesn't work in February. Especially with the pointless piercing. *Sick*

That's it for tonight, folks. I got other things to catch up on. As I'm sure you do as well, so let's part ways amicably for tonight, and I'll see ya all again tomorrow...or will I? Depends on what happens on this crazy February Leap Year Shennanigainery. Peace, love, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWgOQcAIDs

Maybe this solves the cookie concerns?

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748023-This-ones-about-the-three-Es