*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749087-Remembering-Mama
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1800008
A daily walk with... ME
#749087 added March 18, 2012 at 12:36pm
Restrictions: None
~~Remembering Mama~~
Tomorrow will mark the second anniversary of my mother's death. At this time, two years ago, my brothers and sister were gathered around the bed in the tiny nursing-home room, standing vigil, waiting for the inevitable. I watched her irregular breathing as we talked about funeral arrangements. Mama was no longer conscious, but I wondered if she could hear us. I wondered if she was afraid. What's it like to die? She looked frail; I felt helpless. I had long ago given up my prayers for a miracle. I knew her death would be a blessing, an escape from the fear and confusion she had suffered for so long. I would miss her, but I had, for many years now, missed this strong, kind, intelligent, and generous lady that was my mama and friend. I wondered if she would be whole again where she was going. I wrestled with my faith, a faith she had taught me since childhood. Would she truly be free? Would she be with Daddy again? Would I see her again? We watched Mama take her last breath. Suddenly, through the tears, all my questions were answered. The room was filled with her presence, the presence of the mother we knew before Alzheimer's took her away. We all felt it. And in each of our minds, we heard her call out our names with strength and love and recognition. Today, I have no doubt that Mama is well and whole and forever happy as she watches us from beyond the clutches of human frailty. Yes, I will see her again, face to face. But I'm in no hurry because Mama is right here with me all the time, everyday.


STATIC
Unraveled Tapestry  (13+)
A beautiful mother of six is disappearing a little each day.
#1591959 by Winnie Kay

Alzheimer's Disease Ribbon
9/12/1925~~3/19/2010


© Copyright 2012 Winnie Kay (UN: winniekay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Winnie Kay has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749087-Remembering-Mama