*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749958-New-Development-in-RC-flying
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#749958 added April 1, 2012 at 9:07am
Restrictions: None
New Development in RC flying
The latest in Flying Radio Controlled Model Airplanes

Yesterday Mark and I cleared trees on a friend of mine’s property. In the windstorm there were some big oaks and pines that were blown down and blocked his trails. After all that work I ran two more miles to get my FDGL diet even more energized. “Don’t you know?” I only lost .2 of a pound.

I am developing an interest in Radio Controlled (RC) Airplanes. As a kid I flew what was called “Control Line” where there were these wires attached to the wings, the operator stood in the middle and controlled the elevator to make the aircraft go up and down. I could never afford RC and after seeing several crashes and doing some quick calculations of what that cost the owner, decided to opt for feeding my wife and children.

The other day, while in the Hobby shop picking up some glue, I saw a flight simulator on the wall for flying RC models and tried it. After a few attempts I managed to fly and land one and thought that was pretty cool. My wife said she would get me one a simulator for my birthday. I went on line and to my amazement the latest development is to put a camera in the cockpit and hobbyists are flying these airplanes now from the pilots, rather than a bystander’s viewpoint. You know how in writing there are these POVs, well the same thing has happened in RC Aircraft. Anyway that is very exciting… I always wanted to fly an airplane but could never afford the lessons.

On U-Tube I watched this guy in California fly his model down a river to see a fast train come over a bridge and then flew back underneath another bridge. The operator wears a special set of glasses that are a miniaturized screen and they even have it where when he/she rotates their heads the camera rotates and they can look right or left and up and down. The range is about two miles. (At a half mile you can no longer see with normal vision the Model Airplane). I am going to have to try that. Imagine flying a model through a camera that you can’t even see from where you are standing. It is simply mind boggling.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/749958-New-Development-in-RC-flying