*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751410-Character-not-characters
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#751410 added April 21, 2012 at 12:02pm
Restrictions: None
Character not characters
A response to: "Invalid Entry

How about virtues? As in ....character is a set of defining labels, where virtues are a subset of positive attainable characteristics, where trustworthiness is an example of that subset. Or something like that. You'd say it better.

But lets look at trustworthiness. Not a virtue I'm great at; but, one can measure it for oneself as well as gauge other's opinions. And it's not static. Neither the reality nor the perception. And furthermore it can be worked on by knowing what defines it, by knowing positive and negative examples of it. By choosiong to act in ways that demonstrate it. Last night I had a writer's meeting I was expected to attend. I did. I was trustworthy. Sunday I need to be on a bus at 4 in the morning or a friend who has pre-payed for the ticket will be more than disappointed. At this moment any excuse not to show will undermine my trustworthiness in both a real way and in his perception of me.

As children most of us were taught by word or deed how to act out a virtue. It became part of our character. One can even talk about the character of groups of people. That's why the guide book describes Norwegians (I go there in May) as humble and self-effacing. The Costa Ricans (where I'm at) have a virtue I call "quedarse bien" ...they try to be on good terms with everyone. And because of this they are very "pleasant" people.

But back to me. Some virtues are such a strong part of my character that others define me as such. But I can assure you that over the decades the words that have been used have changed. Once in a meeting I chose "friendliness" as a self-defining virtue. My friends jumped in and insisted on "generosity". These days I am not so generous. I have worked on being friendly though.

In any case: great handling of the topic. I will be back to read your blog again.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1804791 by Not Available.


ME:

Got to bed before 10! Got up late. So nothing to report. 10 verdolagas in bloom. Day is clouding up on a beautiful bright morning. It's 10 a.m. Rainy season (el invierno = winter) has definitely begun. Last night there was a certain fragrance in the air ...and bugs. Today is a day of catching up before tomorrow's journey.
29,153

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/751410-Character-not-characters