*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752217-Tolkien-and-other-creatures-
by RICH
Rated: E · Book · Hobby/Craft · #1584786
Blogging, to take over the world.
#752217 added May 6, 2012 at 8:31am
Restrictions: None
Tolkien and other creatures ...

For the record; J.R.R. Tolkien was born a South African. (John Ronald Reuel. Knew you wanted to know *Cool*)

3rd January 1892 in Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State, South Africa.

He passed away on 2nd September 1973 after a brief illness at Oxford, England.

He wrote a few books, and one in particular was very popular, so much so, it became an icon amongst stories about 'dragons', 'hobbits', and myths and legends. 'The Lord of the Rings' was a great success in the year 1954 and ever since.


Now why is this important, well ...


to be cont.......

A while later; the story continues:-

At some stage, there evolved a lizard, this lizard likes to sit on a rock, or an opening in the grassland, or against an anthill, and bask in the sun.
One day a man passed its way, saw its habit, and called it a Sungazer.
Still later, there was another person, he decided all animals should have a 'Latin' name to stop confusion. His was Carl Linnaeus (23 May 1707 - 10 January 1778) and he devised a system, then from 1758, the system was in use, till today.

By the way, his original name was Carl Nilsson Linnæus, also known after his ennoblement as Carl von Linné. He was a Swedish botanist, physician, and zoologist, who laid the foundations for the modern scheme of binomial nomenclature.( Mostly Wiki)

Smaug is the name of the dragon encountered by Bilbo Baggins, the protagonist of J.R.R. Tolkien’s book The Hobbit. According to Tolkien the name is derived from the Old German verb smeugen – to squeeze through a hole. Like the type species, Smaug lived underground and was heavily armored. Appropriately Tolkien was born in the Free State province, South Africa, the core area of distribution of the type species. The name is masculine. - (http://www.reptile-database.org/)

Cordylus giganteus SMITH 1844: 35
Zonurus derbianus GRAY 1845
Zonurus giganteus — BOULENGER 1885: 253
Cordylus giganteus — ABRAHAM 1981
Cordylus giganteus — BONETTI 2002
Smaug giganteus — STANLEY et al. 2011

Carl Nilsson Linnæus, who has three names, made a system thereby made it easier for everything to have a name which could be used by any person of any other language.

Referring to the above list, it is clear how simple things are.

I still call it a Sungazer, and it does not mind.


and a few other names in a different language.

A Sungazer, by any other name will still be a Sungazer.

© Copyright 2012 RICH (UN: j2rr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RICH has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752217-Tolkien-and-other-creatures-