*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752704-Hate-me-Hate-my-Dog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#752704 added May 11, 2012 at 4:09pm
Restrictions: None
Hate me, Hate my Dog
Hate me… Hate my Dog

Well last night I got to see my #2 grandson run track. I think it was the two-mile he ran and finished 5th in a six High School event. He is only a sophomore and is more of a cross-country that a track and field runner. He floats like I did when I was his age, only better. (My floating days are behind me.)

Linda is stressed out and the best I can do is give her room. She was raised in a very controlling family and she had to become independent fast when she met me. It has always been hard for her to spread her wings and soar, although somebody taught our daughters well. (Maybe they learned on their own.) They are very independent and comfortable anywhere they set down.

I think I’ll go and read my book, maybe take a nap. If I sound bored I am… bored to tears. I have been taking long walks and they are leaving me physically worn out. That is good. I am always afraid on trips that I’ll put on too much weight.

There are nine students in my class this term. I can’t wait for it to get started. Actually it already has with the templating requirement. The first submission I received needed a bit more work.

One of my students is a fellow instructor at NHA. She has been giving me a lot of good ideas and advice. In the military I came to value and rely upon good advice from smart people. I was not exactly retarded in my own right, but learning to listen to what others offered, weigh it and apply it where appropriate gave me an edge that carried me well beyond my level of competence. I used to believe and still do that “All wisdom does not reside in a single mind. Surprisingly many people find it hard to apply the wisdom and ideas of others and suffer as a consequence. This is not to say that some of it is laid aside after careful consideration, but rather to weigh each morsel, regardless of its source and apply the good stuff accordingly.

This is particularly true regarding people you don’t particularly care for. Ever heard the saying, “Hate me, hate my dog…” Well many think that way and regardless of how good an idea the “Hated One” offers, it is rejected out of hand. Then the fools do the direct opposite. Is that human nature or what?

I think I’ll go to work on setting up my grade book. That should be a productive way to spend some of these excess hours.

© Copyright 2012 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/752704-Hate-me-Hate-my-Dog