*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754357-This-ones-about-cyber-endgame
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#754357 added June 7, 2012 at 10:56pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about cyber endgame.
THE PROMPT: "Cyberwar - Should governments be using it? WIth all the breaking news about what has been done to Iran lately (and Israel's admittance of using cyber-hacking techniques), how do you feel and what if other countries started using it against your country?"

Good evening folks...I'd like to issue a statement before rattling off today's prompt. I'm not even remotely prepared to talk about this subject. I don't follow national and international news nearly as much as I probably should. This scenario sounds like it's built more for George Orwell, the late Ray Bradbury, or <insert your favorite sci-fi, horror, fantasy or mystery/crime author here>. I'm sure it's a pretty serious thing, however...probably more serious than Iran posting on the United States' Facebook page, "Ur a pussy!" or Israel ignoring our Farmville requests.

That being said, what do I really think, given my limited knowledge? That would suck. Could you imagine some terrorist jerk running all sorts of wires and cords and satellites into a cave in a Third World country, and then hacking into the mainframe of The Pentagon? Or Amazon.com even? How ironic would it be if he was hacking his power to do all that from the basement in the newly-opened McDonalds in Thirdworldville? "Yes, I'd like the McGoat burger with extra cheese, a side of chips with hummus, a large diet Coke, and access to your circuit panels." "Thank you...camel through."

I realize that what I just said may sound racist. It's not. Stereotyping? Perhaps. But come on, the Chinese have been referring to Americans as fat and lazy since the Reagan era. And so what if it's true, China?!...It doesn't make it any better!

Now, back to the matter at hand. Yes, that's some scary shit. I'd hate to think that any country would use this as a means for anything, but I guess when world dominance is that attainable, the competitive nature would take over and seek to use anything as a perceived advantage. And what better way to send America (and the world) as message than to take down the internet? Al Gore's already made his money from it, so what does he care? He'd probably appreciate it in his quest for a greener Earth, and just stockpile useless iPads in his shed until he figures out a way to turn them into solar panels that will power his kitchen gadgets.

Everyone's got a story for major world occurences. Some remember what they were doing when JFK got shot, or when John Lennon got shot (I was in kindergarten for that one...my first experience with "A moment of silence, please."). More recently, everyone remembers what they were doing on 9/11 (an old co-worker and I exchange Facebook messages every year on that day, as we were driving into work together as it was happening). Things like that are etched in our memories like the ABC's, our first heartbreaks, and the sight of Britney Spears after she went batshit crazy and shaved her head. They almost become a part of our fabric within society.

So here's how it's gonna go down for me on the day the terrorists win and destroy the internet as we know it. I'll be in between games of Madden NFL Superstars on Facebook, when I'll get the WDC email for the day's prompt in the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS. And I'll be excited, because it'll be the best prompt ever...one that combines my humor with actual relevance and useful information. And of course, I'll hit send after copy/pasting the link to my Facebook wall, but WDC will have logged me out. The teaser I'll write for it on Facebook will be so awesome, that all 1300+ of my friends will want to check it out. But there'll be nothing to check out, because by the time I've clicked back on the WDC window, all there'll be is the omnious Microsoft "blue screen of death", but with one of those silly Facebook meme's of Saddam and Osama that says, "Hahaha, we got you now, bitches!!". And faster than you can say that the people who used to send you tons of "funny" emails until you told them you don't read them anyway ten years ago are now the people who scour the internet to post 86 random meme's in a row on Facebook and only three of them are truly funny, the internet, and all of communication as we know it in America, will cease. Because without the internet these days, we're pretty damn useless.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

We will just be known as a society of these...



VITAL STATS:

*Thumbsup* The first day off the blood pressure meds has been mostly a success. As long as you don't count my blood pressure being high. Again. I've regained most of the strength in my shoulders, my chest doesn't feel as strained, and the workday ended with only a minor headache rather than flat-out fatigue. Score!

*Helicopter* justjessica1 safely touched down in Miami, where she promptly sent me a pic of sunshine, palm trees, blue skies and its "hahaha, I'm on vacation and it's so awesome here"-ness. I was standing next to the office at work, where they frown upon you hurling your phone into a wall and then hurling on it. I thought to myself, "Gee, that looks nicer than the hospital." and responded with "Cool."

Eh, I'm runnin' out of ways to make this any bit more long and painful for you all, so I'm gonna go agitate the cats now and call it a night eventually. Here's to peace, love, and never-failing internet. GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754357-This-ones-about-cyber-endgame