*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754826-This-ones-about-loving-life
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#754826 added June 13, 2012 at 7:33pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about loving life.
THE PROMPT: "Tell us what you like about your life."

Good evening y'all! I'm feelin' this prompt, so the words are just gonna flow. Let me set this off with a quote I'll always remember from Mario Cuomo, an ex-governor of NY and father of current governor Andrew: "Life is not joy, but motion."

Compelling stuff, right off the bat. And it's true. Life's not always cotton candy, puppies and free downloads. Life is the ups and downs, and how we navigate through 'em. There's a line in a song by Atmosphere that goes, "Sometimes you've got to get low just to get through", and I believe that.

I'mma tell you what: I'm not the best person, I'm not the best decision-maker, I'm not the best planner, I haven't had the best life, and I won't top a lot of other "Best Of" lists. But I've got heart, character, personality, and will. And that last bit is gonna propel me through the completion of this entry just as much as the first three can. And it carries me through life like the others do combined.

There's a lot to love about my life. I could clown around for days talkin' 'bout how great it is to be me. Nice house, decent job, pretty lady, all of that. But I also know what it means when you lose all that. Some people curl up and die. I could've been that cat. But I'm not. While I value how fortunate I've been in some situations, I realize others can't be so lucky. I don't take that for granted.

I can boast and granstand with the best biggest mouths in town. And I can make your day, while mine's ready to be shit-canned. I can write a love song to nobody when love is the last thing on my mind. I will tell you I'm alright, even when I'm not, and you'll believe it because I can sell it. Does that make me a liar? That's on both our consciences to decide.

I get miserable sometimes. I get depressed over choices I've made. I don't regret them, because that gets you nowhere. I embrace the learning experiences. I say the wrong thing at the most awkward time. And when I'm not comfortable, no one is comfortable. I'm selfish and needy. I'm co-dependant. I can't keep a lot of shit straight, and that's on me to sort things out on another level.

And that's what I love about my life. I have the power over myself to fix things. I can choose. I can change. I'm as adaptable as any human being out there. I've made a life out of being able to get in where I fit in. To quote Chuck D of Public Enemy, "If I can't change the people around me, I change the people around me." That's profound, and it's a very important tool to have in your mental toolbelt.

I'm not perfect. I'm flawed. I know this. I accept this with the understanding that it doesn't always have to be a cloudy day, even when it is. And I may not always come across as such, but I love my life. Next to my name, when all I've got is nothing, I still have that, and I'm not gonna let anyone take that away from me. At least not under my watch.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Love life. Love your life.



VITAL STATS:

*Cart* Retail Hell has reared its comical head again. This is from one of our grocery vendors who bring us refridgerated product. Processed food is some crazy shit; luckily we no longer stock these, um, treats.

"We are issuing a product recall for two <national chain restaurant>'s products. This is a lower level, Class 2 recall. This means we need to pull product back from you. This recall is based on a chance there are tiny metal particles in our seasoning. This was caused by an incoming seasoning from our seasoning supplier, <seasoning company here> and has nothing to do with us. These particles were even too small to be picked up by the metal detectors at the seasoning facility as well as our plant. Only these products were affected: Mozzarella Sticks and Onion Rings. All product must be held and not destroyed until further notice. We'll let you know what to do soon."

That was not verbatim, but pretty close.

Now, what's crazy about this? What isn't?? Food goes through metal detectors before it hits the shelf? *Shock* Who knew this? The processed food industry is insane! Damn!

So I walked into the office after we put the delivery away and asked if anyone had one of those old horsehoe magnets...you know, the u-shaped ones that are red with the white tips. When asked why, I told them I was gonna see if we had any of the products on the recall, and I'd just take them from the freezer like that, in case we did have any of the affected lot codes. *Smirk*

*Eat* In an ironic turn of events, I may never eat at T.G.I. Friday's again.

And there you have it, friends. Today's entry is in the bag. Love it, hate it, have your take in the comment box and I'll be happy to oblige you. Just another reason I love life. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!



And how's this for irony? The Vevo ad before the video was for Friday's. *Sick*

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754826-This-ones-about-loving-life