*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754895-This-ones-about-the-vote
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#754895 added June 14, 2012 at 9:41pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the vote.
THE PROMPT: "Presidential election 2012. How is it going to go down?" (opinion prompt)

Good evening friends. It's the opinion portion of the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, and I have several. So lemme go ahead and get started.

Now, I don't do politics much anymore. I used to be very involved with it. I was the Vice-Chairman a few years back for a local political party that was doing great things in Depew. We wound up getting the first-ever woman elected for village mayor. Everything was going well. But even in local politics (where the politics are the closest to the people), things can change in a hurry. People talk, play games, backstab, and always know someone or something else, and ego gets in the way. So when I lost my reelection for Vice Chairman, I dropped out entirely.

I know this is an election year, and national politics is an entirely different animal. I won't say I don't care, because I do. But you and I and pretty much everyone else knows this: the agendas change once the president is sworn in. Political agendas are based on what gets the person elected, and grow into what the president inherits once reality sets in. Not every egg then is edible; not every idea is feasible.

We've seen this happen with several points that got Obama elected in the first place. Now, I'm can pretty much assure you I know nothing about the economy or how it works, I go on a lot of "key words and phrases", and I know that for everything the goverment tells us, there's at least 20 things they're not telling us. But it's easy to see that what Obama set out to do versus what he's accomplished are two different things.

And I'm saying this as a registered Democrat. His initial response to the war was to send more troops, not to pull them out. And yeah, he hasn't saved the economy, added jobs, or lowered gas prices to more reasonable levels, but look at what he was left with after the Bush administration. Bush handed him the keys to the 'Vette with no gas, two flat tires and a scratched out vehicle identification number and said, "My mechanic's out of town."

But in the end, I'm pulling for Obama to step up and not only win the election, but also have a successful second term. He's had four years to get his footing and catch a few gray hairs along the way. As they say in sports, when a young athlete struggles at first but soon hits his stride and starts living up to expectations and then some, "the game slows down for them", and I think that's going to be true of his second term.

I think the Republicans' major flaw is they start out way before election season with too big a pool of hopefuls for candidates. These candidates cause too much in-fighting within the party rather than working together, and there's at least one or two in the lot who are legitimately batshit crazy and just embarrass the Republican tag, therefore alienating the public further from the party and its ideals.

Now, these are just my beliefs. In all my years, I've never seen my life affected one way or another by the Commander In Chief...and if I had, I was too ignorant to notice. Please don't try to debate me, and don't shove the right-wing agenda down my throat. I'll read everyone's opinions on this, and respond respectfully, and that's all I ask in return.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

What do I really care about? That there's a president in the office when one of my local teams wins a championship, and that prez wants to invite them to the White House to congratulate them.



VITAL STATS:

*Cart* See, this is how we have to enjoy ourselves in Retail Hell. We've got a part-time cashier who's, in her description, "87 years old and weighs 87 lbs.". I don't have much of a problem with her, other than she smells of cat pee and ratted on me once for dropping an f-bomb in her direction, which may or may not be true, although she told my bosses the date and time. But whatever.

She took a phone call today, which was for a disgraced former employee who hasn't worked in our location in well over three years. So she paged this person over the intercom. Obviously, this person was not available to take the call. I was in my aisle, chuckling.

Now mind you, our District Training Representative was at our store today, in the office with the store manager at the time. Five minutes later, I heard G-Stamm get paged to the office. And five minutes after that, our cashier voiced this exact page over the intercom:

"Mr. Ben Dover, take the call on 101. Ben Dover, call on 101."

*Laugh*

No joke. I'm rolling in the aisle at this point. Probably because I'm 11 years old inside. A few minutes later I walked into the office, and there was the trainer and the district suit. G-Stamm had just spilled the beans to me in the stockroom, that they put him up to it.

My boss was like, "Did you get the call for Ben?" trying as hard as she could with a straight face, until we both laughed. I looked at her, shook my head, and said, "Ya know, if you hadn't thought of that and I did, but didn't say anything and pulled it off, you would have flown out of the office, dragged me back into the office, and demanded to know what the hell was wrong with me. Even if I wasn't the one that did it!" And she paused for a moment, shook her head, and sadly, she agreed.

The old lady, to her credit once she was told about the joke from another of the cashiers, was kinda whatever-ish about it. "I'm don't think like the rest of you people. You're nasty!" I'm kinda debating in my head if she's gonna show up next week when she's scheduled.

And I have to end it on that note, y'all. I'm beat, my legs are shot from work and then walking home, and I'm gonna play catch-up a little bit. At least I can sleep in some tomorrow. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/754895-This-ones-about-the-vote