*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/756059-The-4th-of-July
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#756059 added July 4, 2012 at 7:48am
Restrictions: None
The 4th of July
Wednesday, July 4, 2012 ~ Month 2012 Unofficial: FOLLOW ME BLOGGING CHALLENGE prompt is Initiating Blog entry by Prosperous Snow celebrating


The 4th of July is dangerous! My memories of celebrating Independence Day contain event that could have cost someone’s life or endangered their sight. For three consecutive years, my Grandparents and the extended family went to Lake Carl Blackwell to set off fireworks. The events I am listing in the next paragraph are in the order of severity and not necessarily the order in which they occurred.

1. One of my cousins (I forget which one) pulled a pan of grease off the camping stove onto her.
2. Another cousin set off a cherry bomb and rocks or small stones hit him in the eyes.
3. My youngest brother nearly drowned when the life jacket he wore did not work properly and soaked up water. Fortunately, my Grandfather never let him or any of us into the water without him watching us.

When we began celebrating the 4th of July at the Lake, Lake Blackwell, or whatever the recreational area close to Blackwell, Oklahoma is called the following occurred. These are list in the order that I remember them.

1. My Grandfather was sitting on the hood of his car holding Roman candles in his hand while they went off. (All right, adults are supposed to know better, but let us not discuss that particular issue.) Anyway, the Roman candle backfire and sparks got on his cotton shirt. He jumped off the hood and brushed the sparks off his shirt.
2. My brothers set firecrackers off in the hills of fire ants. (At least, they did until they someone rated them out.) If you have never felt an angry fire ant sting you, you have never experienced pain. Peeing on the sting does not help. Peeing yourself is a reaction to the fire ant’s sting.

The 4th of July is dangerous! That is the reason fire works whether or not they are “safe and sane” (I doubt this description) are not allowed in National Forest. This is the reason the citizens of North Las Vegas worry about the short staffing in fire stations in that cash strapped city. This and the fact that some of my neighbors set off illegal (unsafe and insane) fireworks on Independence Day are the main reasons I remain home and watch the festivities on television. The other reason (this year) is that I have no intention of taking my mother out in 80, 90 or 100 degree temperatures with monsoonal moister (which a blog entry in itself).

EMERGENCY PROMPT: There is nothing like the scent of ... in the morning.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/756059-The-4th-of-July