*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/756291-Dog-Gone-it-Betty
Rated: 13+ · Book · Animal · #1875812
A blog on the adventures my son's dog is taking me on while he is away for a month.
#756291 added July 8, 2012 at 8:25am
Restrictions: None
Dog Gone it, Betty
Friday, July 6th: Not much to tell about today. I was gone quite a bit running errands and seeing friends. I will have to say the times I was home, I was a little concerned because all Betty would do is lie on the couch and look pitiful. Then I remembered, that's all she does when Reese is home, so all is fine in the world.

Since I don't have much to talk about for this day, I thought I'd tell you about how and when we got Betty.

It was about 2 years ago. We had a pug, named Rocky, and had recently lost our other dog, Apollo. Apollo had gotten out. We searched the neighborhood, shelters, and put up signs, but could never find him. In my heart, I believe he is in a good home somewhere, and he knows we love him.

Reese and I had discussed Rocky being lonely, but no decisions had been made. We were coming back from Edmond where we had celebrated Reese's birthday at his Mema's house. I never noticed before that we drive right passed a shelter. I pulled in warning that we were just going to "look". Yeah, right. Who goes into a shelter and doesn't come out with an animal?

Reese went right to Betty's cage (they had named her Honey, I suppose because of her coat). I'll be honest, I did NOT want Betty. She was way too big. She looked like a dog that is only going to be happy on a farm. Granted we have a big back yard, but I knew Reese would want her in the house. I could not imagine this "horse" in my house. I begged Reese to look around - suggesting strongly a smaller dog. He reluctantly agreed, but I knew in my heart we were taking Betty home. Which of course, we did. Sometimes your kids get that look in their eyes that tells you all the happiness in the world rests on your decision; you know it's not manipulation, but pure and honest. I could not/would not deny Reese this relationship with a special dog.

Saturday, July 7th: This was a lazy day. I had been going so much all week, I vowed not to leave the house. We didn't walk today, but because i stayed home, Betty seemed okay with it. I took a nap, and dreamed of Reese coming home. I called and told him about; he said he had dreamed about it that night. I wonder if Betty dreams about it; I'm sure she does.

Sunday, July 8th: We just went on the BEST walk! I'm so proud of Betty. Either I'm walking faster (doubtful) or she's come to the conclusion that a slow walk is better than no walk. We went a different way, and luckily didn't have any "dog" confrontations.

I saw The Hunger Games (not my choice, but hey it's a free movie and good company) this weekend. For those of you've who have seen it, the part with the mutant dogs reminded me of Betty when she's challenged by other dogs. I mean I don't really think she would fight them, but the strength they possessed brought a pain to my shoulder as I flashed back to some of our not-so-successful walks.

I've realized I've come to love Betty. Oh, I know I can never love her the way Reese does. Those two are in separable - their bond is what is meant by a dog is a man's best friend. But I find myself smiling when she smiles up at me. I'm more patient when she jumps on me. I think we have brought each other comfort - helped each other out in this time of missing Reese.

Hugs,
Betty and Audra

** Image ID #1529452 Unavailable **




© Copyright 2012 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/756291-Dog-Gone-it-Betty