*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757128-Surviving-the-Unexpected
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#757128 added July 23, 2012 at 4:18pm
Restrictions: None
Surviving the Unexpected
Monday, July 23, 2012 ~ July 2012 Unofficial: FOLLOW ME BLOGGING CHALLENGE prompt is "Beyond the Unexpected by Wordsmitty ✍️


Sometimes I wander if I am living in the Twilight Zone. All right, I do admit to having an extremely vivid, weird, and sometimes scary imagination. I admit that sometimes my dreams are so vivid that they appear real and I wake asking myself “Was it a dream or did it really happen?” Now back to the prompt.

Tell me something that happened to you that was so unexpected that you had no idea how to deal with it. The doctor diagnosing my mother with Alzheimer’s disease. All right, before the official diagnosis, for several years before, I knew there was something wrong because of little things that Mom would do which were odd. However, she did nothing that would set off red lights and sirens. It was just random weird, odd, unusual and out of character actions.

Mentally healthy people sometimes do unusual and weird things that are out of character. The normal reaction is to shack your head, smile, and wonder, “What was that person thinking?” You normally do not take them to the doctor because of these actions; you just shrug your shoulders and go on with your day or your life.

Mom’s diagnosis was something I could not skip over or move around; I had to deal with it head on. My methods of dealing with the unexpected are prayer, writing, crying, and sometimes just staring blankly into space meditating on the navel of the universe.

As for dealing with Mom, sometimes when I talk to Mom it is like talking to someone in another dimension. Sometimes when I talk to Mom, I have no idea what Mom is talking about. Sometimes I wonder who Mom is talking to; I know I am the one in the room, but I am not sure I am the one she is talking to. Sometimes Mom thinks I am her mother, sometimes she knows I am her daughter, and sometimes I have no idea who she thinks I am.

How do I survive this unexpected turn of events? I get up each day say my prayers, take my medication, drink coffee (sometimes laced with chocolate), and put one foot in front of the other. As long as I can keep moving, I am all right. As long as I can walk into my garage and get into my car without a spider dropping onto my head, I am all right.

Anyone can survive the unexpected as long a she or he realizes that the ever present now is just a moment in space-time shared without countless other intelligent beings in the universe. Somewhere in the vastness of space and the infinitude of time there are beings who are much better off as well as beings who are much worse off. Every being in the universe is surviving the unexpected; it is just that some events are more unexpected and devastating then other.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer

© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/757128-Surviving-the-Unexpected