*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758235-Funny-Friday-Fractured-or-Rewritten-Metaphors
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#758235 added August 10, 2012 at 3:33pm
Restrictions: None
Funny Friday: Fractured or Rewritten Metaphors
Friday, August 10, 2012 ~ Day 10 of the 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is "Tell us about someone in your life, or someone else's life, who uses metaphors in an extreme manner. For example: An old Aunt used to always say "You're in the right church, but the wrong pew", if you were looking for something and were close to finding it."


I don’t know anyone who uses metaphors to the extreme. I have a tendency to use metaphors, but not the in way the way one would expect or to the extreme. For instance, instead of saying "You're in the right church, but the wrong pew" I would probably say one of the following “You’re in the right pew, but the wrong church.” or “You’re in the wrong pew, but the right church.”

One of my favorite metaphors is “Don’t just stand there, do something.” This refers to someone needing to take action immediately. However, when I say this metaphor it comes out “Don’t just doing something, stand there.”

Other Metaphors that I rewrite or fracture


Instead of “Take the bull by the horns.” I say “Take the cat by the whiskers.”

Instead of being “on the horns of a dilemma” I’m “under the claws of a dilemma”.

I have to admit that I do get some strange looks because sometimes it takes people a while to figure out what I’m talking about. The strange looks don’t bother me because the light in their eyes when the figure out what I’m talking about is wonderful and exciting. Besides, if you use a metaphor too much it becomes a cliché.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer



© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/758235-Funny-Friday-Fractured-or-Rewritten-Metaphors