*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767164-Starting-to-enjoy-this-trip--huh
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#767164 added November 28, 2012 at 9:31pm
Restrictions: None
Starting to enjoy this trip ... huh?
Yep. I've calmed down a bit and actually feel okay about being here. It takes hours, days or lifetimes when I get upset... *Rolleyes*

Me:

Pouring!

Have seen little sunshine since I got here on the 14th. No rain when I went to the Center for the Study of Tropical Agriculture (CATIE) but the ground was soggy and I got soaked. Changed to dry clothes and shoes and put everything else in the washer.

I took the CATIE bus ...the shuttle didn't cost! However, I went to whole way to the administrative center and then had to walk back.

But, walking is a joy when it's dry and I do have to lose weight. The walk was quite pleasant and I caught a heron sitting by the lake and got a photo. Reminder to self: watercress = water, usually flowing water.

Grey sky day but I finally found the back entrance to the botanical gardens where they have plantings of coffee varieties from around the world. They also specialize in cacao and peach palm. Actually ...all tropical crops. Saw a tolomuco! Twice in three days. *Smile*

Member nations of CATIE include Mexico, all of Central America, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Colombia, Bolivia, Paraguay and Spain.

Lovely place.

But very very wet. The "winter" won't give up quite yet.

Ended up in the botanical garden and took lots of photos. Oddly, there was no entrance fee and instead of waiting for the shuttle I started walking. Quite close to town but I stopped at Betty's for sopa de mondongo (tripe soup). Very tasty. Good price (about $3). Got a photo with Betty herself. She's a pistol. *Laugh*

Took lots more photos when I got back because I'm off tomorrow.

As for Casa de Lis ... the Dutch owner, Lisette, really has done a magnificent job. She just found out yesterday that the recent edition of Lonely Planet lists her place and recommends it. May need to call for reservations in the future. (506) 2556 4933.

https://www.hostelcasadelis.com

Why I like it:

1. Details. As in: coffee, kitchen, laundry, TV, patio, hot water, small lounge areas, lockers, breakfast can be ordered.
2. Great location right downtown. Can walk to everywhere. Turrialba is a fairly calm and safe place.
3. Clean, comfortable, cheap. $10/dormitory.
4. Quiet, yet sociable.
5. The owner Lisette really tries to accommodate her guests. It's more like a boutique
hostel quasi hotel as it has a couple private rooms. Great for backpackers or couples or even business people. That good... *Delight*

If I knew how to contact Kiana ... she deserves many thanks for sending me here.
38,111

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767164-Starting-to-enjoy-this-trip--huh