*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767957-How-I-manage-my-pain
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#767957 added December 8, 2012 at 12:40pm
Restrictions: None
How I manage my pain
December 8 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS by Humming Bird Prompt: Tell me how you manage anger or pain.

Since I've had more experience managing pain then anger, I chose to discuss pain management. There is a lot to be said for pain medication when take according the direction given by my doctor. However, since anyone dealing with chronic pain knows the med don't always help. The first question is "What do you do when the pain medication doesn't work?" The second question is "What do you do when the pain occurs and you are operating heavy equipment?"

I don't know how other people handle this instance, I only know how I handle the. I can take my pain medication only twice a day and when I take it I have to take it with food. Since I don't like taking pain medication, I take only when I absolutely have to. I have osteoarthritis plus a stomach condition that cause extreme pain when I eat something that my body doesn't like (I'm not sure what food or food additive causes this) or am under a great deal of stress.

When I have stomach pain, curling up in the fetal position helps. The problem is curling up in the fetal position doesn't help the osteoarthritis in pain my knees. In addition, the stress I've been under in the past few years doesn't help either pain.Then there is the problem with my left knee going out of joint at random intervals. There are other pains, but those are minor irritations and not worth mentioning.

When my knee goes out of joint and I'm home; I scream. It's amazing how much a scream relives the pain and the I manage to get my knee back into joint. When I'm not at home and my knee goes out of join, I bite my tongue probably not the best idea, but when the knee goes back into joint I'm capable walking and driving again, so why draw attention to myself. Someone is just going to want to send to the emergency room and I don't deal well with emergency rooms.When I know I'm going out of the house, I take a pain pill with my breakfast and it dulls the pain.

Most of the time the pain isn't bad enough to call an ambulance, so there isn't any use going to an emergency room. If the pain becomes bad enough to call an ambulance then I need to go the the hospital. Otherwise, I use prayer, meditation, and getting off my feet which sometimes helps. I encourage people with chronic pain to go to the doctor because the doctor can determine the best way to handle the pain. I have to make an appointment with my doctor to discuss the problem of my knee going out of joint.


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/767957-How-I-manage-my-pain