*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769279-Serendipity
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#769279 added December 22, 2012 at 8:13pm
Restrictions: None
Serendipity
Me:

I've been blessed on this trip.

In Manzanillo de Talamanca very near the Panamanian border, I met Amanda. She's amazing because she has the courage to face life on her terms. She follows her passion. She travels. Everything she owns fits into her backpack.

Could I do this? What is MY passion? Travel is only part of it. Photography, writing, teaching, gardening... Unfortunately, these are not all compatible. I can't garden when I'm traveling and my photography interferes with my writing which flourishes when I'm inspired but bored. I'm not bored these days.

Today I went to the beach at Manzanillo de La Cruz very near the Nicaraguan border. The dry forest is quite different from the caiman and manatee filled lagoons of the low tropical wet forest.

What a difference a coast makes. *Wink* The two Manzanillos are about as far apart as you can get in Costa Rica. Very different climates and culture.

So I took photos of boats, rocks, islands, islets, the Pacific ocean ...aimed the camera towards Cuajiniquil as well. Cost about $2 round-trip.

My finances are in good shape. I haven't payed over $11/night in over 10 days. Other than the first night the most I've payed is $16. I'm seriously below my budget of $30/day.

For example, I wanted to visit Río Celeste. Not reachable by bus and back in one day; however, it was a special day with late buses coming back into town for the Festival of Lights! So I went up; the bus cost about $2. Then I walked up for almost an hour until a Swiss-Greek couple picked me up to take me the rest of the way. No entry fee? It was a free day! Then 5 hours slipping, sliding and ultimately falling twice in the mud (coming down *Rolleyes*). Saw the teñideros where the waters mix to produce a unique milky blue color. Went down a "short-cut" past a steam vent. It was pimply-sissing by the time I got to the waterfall.

I was wet, tired, muddy when I got back to the beginning of the trail. A Puerto Rican couple was waiting for me to give me a ride into town! Lucky me. *Heart* So... a trip that can cost $30 with transportation and a guide cost me $2.

The Festival of Lights in Guatuso started at 6:30. Parade then music and 15 minutes of fireworks in the park. Not bad for a small town (population about 7,000). Quiet by 10 pm. Another blessing!

The community band from Nuevo Arenal plays and dances while they march. Very nice. The band from Venado had some young children drummers. People everywhere.

The day before I went to a cattle auction for the first time ...after an hour and a half walk. LOL Distances aren't exact in Costa Rica. But... the flat green countryside reminded me of the Mid-West in summer. A few palm trees spoiled the illusion though. I swear I heard something like a meadowlark.

The trip has been full of nice surprises. Met lots of nice people. Even the bus from Upala to La Cruz was fun. Standing for over two hours and packed in tighter than sardines in a can (como sardinas en la lata). People laughed and were helpful. Finally got to sit next to a woman and her 7 year old son. Met folks from Quebec, Finland and Nicaragua.

So, yes, in spite of a couple disappointments, the serious loss of papers and the not-so-serious loss of a telephone, I'm doing fine. Day 39 ...with 46 to go. *Laugh*
39.098

© Copyright 2012 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/769279-Serendipity