*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771055-This-ones-about-days-and-times
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#771055 added January 10, 2013 at 4:57pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about days and times.
THE PROMPT: "Do you belong in this day and age? Do you feel comfortable being a citizen of the 21st-century? If you do, explain why — and if you don’t, when in human history would you rather be?"

What's up? An interesting prompt here. Given my mood the last few days, allow me to be blunt and introspective.

Perhaps it's just me, but seldom have I ever felt like I've truly "fit in" with whatever eras I've lived through. Even when I was happy and/or successful, it felt fleeting, or just not right. I was too busy looking over my shoulder, waiting for something or someone to take me down, instead of being able to appreciate it.

And when things aren't going your way? You'd think I'd be accustomed to that by now, but really, who wants to be comfortable there? That's why it's hard at times to be me...I'm too uncompromising for my own good at times, and too susceptible other times. I don't know how to strike a balance where I can at least be happy some of the time, and be ok with it and not have to worry about a whole lot of anything serious. I don't think that's too much to ask, but it's terrible to deliver (so I've seen).

Ok...that said, I'll play along with the prompt. I probably would have rather been a child of the late fifties and early sixties. I think it would've been amazing to grow up through so many cultural revolutions. In that course of time so many things changed, and being a part of it...wow! Sure, I've seen many other parts of cultural change, but besides cell phones and Facebook, nothing rivals the pure history of that era. I long for a simpler time...

Or do I? Sure, with the ability of hindsight, it seems simpler, but was it? Define "simpler". Your answer lies within your definition. Simpler, yes, but easier? Maybe. Maybe not. Take a second...shouldn't take much longer to see what side of the fence you're on. Have we grown too accustomed to creature comforts and instant gratification? Is what we sacrifice worth what we get in the end? Have we gone too far, or how far can it go? All we know is that we're not sure at best.

Whoops, sorry...had to play Devil's Advocate there for a minute. I guess I'm really not so sure myself these days of where I'd rather my place in history be. All I can do is worry about where I am for now, embrace it, and make the best of it, whether I like it or not.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Well said, Mr. Wilson.



VITAL STATS:

Another entry down...time to see what today's prompt is, post the last few entries, and hope for the best. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/771055-This-ones-about-days-and-times