*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774940-This-ones-about-other-virtues
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#774940 added February 14, 2013 at 6:51pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about other virtues.
THE PROMPT: "It's Valentines Day. Free prompt to write anything about love or an opinion on the subject."

Hey y'all...how's everybody doin' today? I almost contemplated not participating in the festivities this fine Thursday. Wordsmitty ✍️ had to bail us out with a prompt...had I stayed up maybe five minutes later last night I would've gotten his email with the Costumicon bribe (of which I forgot to thank you for, so thank you, kind sir), and of course I woke up to no working internet this morning...go figure. But that's not my excuse.

It's Valentine's Day...that dreaded celebrated Hallmark holiday. I really want to not have an opinion to share, but dammit, I can never seem to shut up when I know I probably should. So, since there's a prompt, I'm gonna drop a few thoughts.

Like most people, there are two versions of me on February 14th: the romantically-inclined significant other, and the bitter, angry, single male. Three guesses as to which guy I am this year (and if you need three...see that red "X" at the top of your screen? Click it now).

Last year at this time I was making homemade chocolate truffles for my so-called "loved one". This year I will be eating Girl Scout cookies for dinner courtesy of a friend.

One year I did nothing but listen to the Deftones' "White Pony" album over and over while attempting to drink an entire 12-pack of Smirnoff Ice (I recommend the song "Elite", and strongly advise against Smirnoff Ice).

Romantic music, poetry and a trail of rose petals ended up in an argument a few years ago.

It's sad and true that too often in life the things and times remembered most are the events that hurt. The good times are always overlooked by bad. At least, no matter how hard I try to change my outlook, that's how things end up.

I realize that this entry's going downhill in a hurry.

If you're going to take anything away from my words today, let it be this (and it's the same thing I say about birthdays and other holidays, because it's the mawfuggin' truth): If we spent a little more time on a daily basis treating everyone like it's a special day, people wouldn't feel like crap on fake "special" days like today, and the world would actually be a better place. And I'll be the first to admit that I for one am guilty and need to do a better job of listening to my own advice when it comes down to this.

Enjoy your flowers, cards, candy and love. Save me a peanut butter cup. *Heart*

MUSICAL BREAK!!

The live versions I found of this song just weren't suitable. This will have to do. 364 days out of the year I preach that love is the answer, it's all ya need and it's the greatest thing...and on one day, the most "important" day, I act like there's so many better things in life. It's hard to reconcile love when what you have to look forward to isn't love, or at least isn't love in the way you intend for it or it is meant for you. At this point I'm talking circles around myself and what I'm really trying to say, so I'll just shut up now and enjoy the damn song.



VITAL STATS:

*Heart* I lied about eating Girl Scout cookies for dinner. That's only because I just got some and haven't had time to properly freeze them yet. And don't look at me all weird...you ain't livin' 'til you've had a frozen Samoa.

*Heart* Dinner instead, presuming the weather has held out, will be a treat...a microwavable calzone from the Sunoco station and Orange Livewire Mountain Dew. And if I get there and neither is in stock, then peanut butter cups it is.

Seriously...all you lovers out there, have yourselves a great Valentines Day. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/774940-This-ones-about-other-virtues