*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775019-This-ones-about-idols
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#775019 added February 15, 2013 at 4:10pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about idols.
THE PROMPT: "Write a letter to someone you strive to be like. (Of course, whether you send them the letter or not is up to you.)"

What's up folks? Thanks for taking some time out of your day to stop by. Hope I can do you one back myself soon. Today we get a prompt from ember_rain. This is the stuff college entry essays are made of, kids. I'm here to tell you it's ok to fail this part of the exam.

There are many people in multiple fields I admire. Most are famous for one reason or another. I don't think any are famous solely for being famous, which is good. Some, ok, most, are musicians. There are a few athletes, but as my body gets older and my physical skills diminish I'm less likely to strive for an end zone, hit a home run or dive in front of a moving puck. Authors? It's hard to strive to be like any certain author...paths are forged and diverse. And I don't know of any actor I'd like to be.

If I had to write a letter now, it'd probably be to my former self. Ya know, "look out for danger, or else"...that kind of stuff. There's a part of me that still strives for what I was in the past...ambitious, hopeful, daring, and everything else when you're too young to know better. I'd tell myself not only what to look out for, but what to hang on to as well. We don't always realize what of ourselves we trade away for years of experience.

I know this is certain: there's no kit you can buy in any store, no book you can read, no hero with a manifesto or anything with the title "Building A Better Me". We weren't given an owner's manual when we were born. All we can do is the best with what we're given. That's why any letter I write would be best served by going back to myself.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I'd probably try to send myself a mixtape too (I didn't get a cd player until I was late in my teens). The end of this song is, I think, filled with words everyone has uttered at some point.



VITAL STATS:

*Document* After a lot of thought, I got past my anxiety and emailed my letter of intentions to the Cortland Standard. I was honest about my experience. I was realistic. I'm hopeful but not stupid.

I don't really have a whole lot more to add today, folks. It's the cusp of another weekend...hope you all enjoy it! Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

6/12 Was waiting in line at the Atmosphere concert when we were greeted by Slug.



© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/775019-This-ones-about-idols