*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778182-Alzheimers-research-and-Becoming-my-Mothers-Mother
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#778182 added March 21, 2013 at 11:50am
Restrictions: None
Alzheimer's research and Becoming my Mother's Mother
The March 21, 2013 prompt for "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS is
Write an opinion piece on a cause you feel deserves more support from others.
(Examples: breast cancer awareness, wildlife conservation, equal rights)

Alzheimer's is a disease that will eventually affect every family in America and in the world. According to the article "Cure for Alzheimer's closer"1 by James Chapman, of the Daily Mail, those suffering with this disease are growing. This devastating disease is striking, not only the elderly but, middle-aged people as well. A vaccine for the treatment and possible cure has been found through research done on genetically engineered mice. Trial with human patients suffering from mild-Alzheimer's or the early stages of the disease are in progress. The vaccine shows promise to at least treat the disease if not cure it.

Another promising line of research is "embryonic stem cells", according to the November 13, 2012 blog article "Alzheimer's disease could be helped by a type of brain cell recently generated from embryonic stem cells"2. This article discusses the use of these stem cells in treating "neurodegenerative diseases", on of which is Alzheimer's. Since this is a disease which will affect every family on the planet, we need to pursue all lines of research that show promise to cure or treat this devastating disease.

Alzheimer's not only destroys the brain and memory of its suffers, it also destroys the caregivers and family both emotionally and financially. We cannot let this disease continue its path of destruction. We, as human beings, have to do everything we can to find a cure for this disease. There are promising cures waiting to be discovered through research, but we have to support the research financially both through government funds and individual initiatives. We owe it to our parents, grandparents, children, and ourselves to find a cure for this disease. In order to do this every line of research must be pursued.

Food for Thought: "In addition to relieving patient suffering, research is needed to help reduce the enormous economic and social burdens posed by chronic diseases such as osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases, cancer, heart disease, and stroke." - Ike Skelton

The March 21, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
Write about a moment in your life when you had to "step up" and do something, even though perhaps you didn't want to.

When did I have to "step up" and do something I did not want to do? It was the day I had to become my mother caregiver and oversee her affairs because she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. All my life, Mom had been and independent self-motivated woman. After she and my father were divorced she became an single working mother with four children. Fortunately, we lived in Blackwell close to her parents, so they could help a little; however, Mom did most of the care giving and earning a living.

Mom worked until she was 82 or 83, the only reason she stopped working was that the hotel-casino that employed her closed its doors. Otherwise she would have continued to work as long as she could. I think I knew there was a problem before the doctor diagnosed her with Alzheimer's disease. There were not hug indications, but little things. Things that she would not have considered doing earlier and then there was the anger in situations she once would have let pass or roll off her back. I did not want to admit Mom had a problem, but when the doctor gave the diagnosis I had to accept it. I had to step up and take control of things. I had to become Mom's mother instead of her daughter.

Quote of the Day: Caring for an Alzheimer's patient is a situation that can utterly consume the lives and well-being of the people giving care, just as the disorder consumes its victims. - Leeza Gibbons

Footnotes
1  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10539/Cure-Alzheimers-closer.html
2  http://www.cirmresearch.blogspot.com/2012/11/alzheimers-disease-could-be-helped-...


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/778182-Alzheimers-research-and-Becoming-my-Mothers-Mother