*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779526-A-Willingness-to-Learn
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#779526 added April 2, 2013 at 11:40am
Restrictions: None
A Willingness to Learn
The April 2, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum is
What expert do you wish could come teach you what they know?

Expert "a person who has special skill or knowledge in some particular field; specialist; authority"1. An expert cannot teach me or anyone else anything unless there is a willingness to learn. I can consult an expert, consider what that expert has to say, and decided if I accept what that expert has to say. If I do not find the expert's opinion or knowledge believable then I can consult another expert on the subject or I can experiment or find some other way to learn about the subject on my own.

What subject would I like to consult an expert concerning? I have an endless list of subjects I could discuss with various experts. However, the first thing I need to know about the expert is the narrowness of his or her expertise. The next thing I need to know is did the expert come to his or her conclusions through experimentation or reading about the subject. Once I determine those to things, then I can decide whether or not I want to consult the expert.

Consulting an expert is find, but each individual needs to investigate truth for him or herself. If I just take an experts word, then I am not learning anything, I am not using my brains, and I am not using the free will God gave me. I can consult a dozen different experts on any subject and receive a dozen different "expert opinions", but none of those opinions do me any good unless I can apply them to a situation in my life.

Expert opinion is
necessary with a bit
of salt and pepper.

Food for Thought: "Observe, record, tabulate, communicate. Use your five senses. Learn to see, learn to hear, learn to feel, learn to smell, and know that by practice alone you can become expert." - William Osler

Footnotes
1  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/expert?s=t


© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/779526-A-Willingness-to-Learn