*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782395-No-Change
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#782395 added May 11, 2013 at 7:02pm
Restrictions: None
No Change
I'm still trying hard to see the positives in life and appreciate each day as it comes. Things don't change dramatically as essential routines, the weather and other people are something I have little control over.

But I sense some changes. I'm not sure they were the changes I was anticipating, but as we know life is unpredictable and full of surprises, good and bad.

I think I may be changing into a dormouse. Just lately I could sleep for England and cannot believe what my watch tells me when I finally decide to venture into a new day. But I console myself that not being ruled by an alarm clock has to be a positive. However, whoever said we need less sleep as we get older obviously didn't research very well. Or maybe I'm determined to be different.

Or maybe I'm changing into a hamster or a hedgehog. I've always been an owl as opposed to a lark, but recently I find it more and more difficult to make myself go to bed at night and equally or even more difficult to wake up in the morning. Changing into a nocturnal creature does have some advantages, particularly when there's little or no sun during the daytime to miss.

Although perhaps because of the continuing cold and gloomy weather I'm turning into a penguin or a polar bear. I could certainly do with the ability to survive freezing temperatures and a thick fur coat, especially as hubby doesn't believe in heating the house once spring has arrived. On the calendar that is.

Then again, because I'm so inactive and doing so little of any interest I'm perhaps turning into a slug or a worm. Some days my movements are around the same speed as theirs and my activities probably even less interesting. At least they can get on with stuff in the garden. It's too damned cold to do more than nip out to feed the poor birds lately.

On the other hand I might be changing into a rabbit or a herbivore farm animal as I seem to be developing an even more adverse attitude to eating meat. I've always found contemplating how we arrive at having steaks and chops on our plates a little disconcerting, but lately I'm much happier with fruit and vegetables, along with cheese, eggs and wine of course. I still eat a lot of fish which could confirm my suspicion that I'm changing into a penguin or maybe something requiring a lot of brain fodder like a dolphin. Or it could be a bear (with a sore head) as I doubt my brain is any bigger than that belonging to Pooh.

If the rain continues I would of course prefer to turn into a duck, but as most of you know I'm already quackers.

Whatever I'm changing into, the weather shows little sign of changing for the better. On the strength of this we've booked a week away in June to Menorca in the hope of some sunshine. I won't hold my breath as I'm sure my weather witch status is still fully functional, but I will attempt to look on the bright side.

This means sorting out my as yet redundant summer wardrobe and trying on suitable clothing to take away. This will surely lead me to believe I've turned into a hippo or a beached whale.

© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782395-No-Change