*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782518-The-Pit
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#782518 added May 13, 2013 at 8:42am
Restrictions: None
The Pit

As I look at the big news stories that aired of late, I see men and women giving exercise to the dark side of their characters. They bend the rules to satisfy the compelling and often perverse desires that motivate them to take action.

For example look at Benghazi. We have a president focused on getting reelected. The incident begins on the cusp of his second term victory as he is doing whatever it takes to retain the power of his office.

Then we see a famous general who was head of the CIA. He was between a rock and a hard spot. An affair coming to light, which he hoped the Administration would overlook so he could keep his job. He knew he brought it upon himself, but as is often the case he was driven by his “Maleness” to do a dumb thing. It is ironic that his nickname was “King David.” Get the connection? Anyway the administration had the dirt on him and he realized his only alternative was to come clean and take his lumps. Even so his testimony showed that he supported the Susan Wright contention of a Spontaneous Demonstration. Lucky for him that he left when he did.

Then we have the Altered Talking Points. Regardless if this was a man’s idea or a woman’s’ we see plenty of female enablers, working the situation. I won’t even bother to name them all. Both men and women are actively engaged in compromising their values to achieve a political end. Why all the lies and deceit to cover up something that happens all the time?

Look! I know this might sound calloused but there is an occupational hazard associated with what the State Department, The Central Intelligence Agency and the Military are involved in. Every day thousands of breaks occur in the chain of readiness to respond to a given contingency. Then once the crap hits the fan we have players who fail to respond to the needs of the situation.

In a sense life is like a football game. In the course of the four quarters many mistakes are made as the interactive forces respond to one another. Blaming the president (No doubt partially to blame) is like blaming the field goal kicker for missing a fifty yard attempt in the closing seconds of a game.

At least the general woke up and acknowledged a situation that was largely of his own making. The Cover Up of the Talking points memos was a hundred times worse than the Operational failure that lead to the deaths of the four Americans. This happens all the time and it isn’t worth the compromise of ideals that go into painting a lie.

Then we have this Castro guy in Cleveland who abducted and held three young girls hostage for over ten years. That is too horrible to even imagine… what they went through… but here again we see those compelling forces of procreation, this time in a male guise, doing things the perpetrator knew was wrong but doing them anyway. And what about the female who shot, stabbed and slit the throat of her boyfriend?

Now the latest is where the Internal Revenue Service has been forced to admit that the power of their public office was used to persecute those of a different political persuasion. This is a citizens’ nightmare. Maybe not as bad as being abducted, raped or having your throat slit, but from a larger social perspective, still pretty bad. The liberals who suffered under McCarthy have become the very monsters who persecuted them.

There are dark forces at work in the Human Psyche and the events in the news show how fragile the threads of human decency and behavior are… Pay attention everybody! Before you become too indignant, remember that opportunity makes a thief. The false wall of veneer that stands between us and the pit is thin indeed.

© Copyright 2013 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782518-The-Pit