*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782606-A-Couple-of-Hobos
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#782606 added May 14, 2013 at 1:44am
Restrictions: None
A Couple of Hobos

A couple who have been married, say for 60 years, decide to become hobos. What are their chances to complete five years of being on the road as hobos?

Married for 60 years, the couple have saved some amount of money to take with them as they start their hoboing. They are elderly but they are healthy since they have learned to take care of their bodies when they were young. There is no question of getting ill. They hop on buses, trains, and some times "thumb" a ride with trucks when they are in places with no buses or trains.

First problem: they have been on the road now for 12 months, and they are still enjoying it. They managed to get into a motel in a mountain village - the only motel around. In the middle of the night, a fire consumed the motel; however, they were able to get out of their room without any problem. Their backpacks were burned, though. Fortunately, their money was intact since the couple have made it a point they leave their money belts on their bodies. Their big expense: buy new clothes, backpacks, blankets, shoes, toothbrushes/toothpaste, and re-order the daily medicine that got burned in their backpacks. The expense halved their savings.

The second year of hoboing brought the couple to a tiny village which is occupied by 50 residents, mostly elderly like themselves. They were able to rent a small cottage and became acquainted with the villagers. They were welcomed and as they settled in, they realized they had to stay around. Most of the elderly in village were not as healthy as they were. The hobo couple helped with the gardening, cooking, house cleaning at times, and mostly providing help and aid to the villagers. Before long they realized they had been in the village for 12 months. Their second year of hoboing gave them more energy to continue. They left the village, knowing full well they were able to help the villagers. Off they went and bade goodbye to the villagers, who were totally grateful the couple hobos found their way to the village.

What other problems will they meet on the road as they continue their life on the road?







© Copyright 2013 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/782606-A-Couple-of-Hobos