*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/783165-This-ones-about-writing-and-speaking
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#783165 added May 23, 2013 at 3:01pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about writing and speaking.
30DBC PROMPT: "When do you find it easiest to write? Do you write first thing in the morning, late at night, or somewhere in between?"

What's up folks? Just a good ol' fashioned writing prompt that I can deal with today, which is a good thing. *Wink*

I've probably addressed this questioning several times before, and I've probably had a different answer every time. Which if you know me, know that likely makes some kind of sense.

Right now I fall somewhere in between. I've never been a big fan of writing first thing when I wake up, and trying to find a Wi-Fi signal is kind of a pain after dark around here. So in theory, it makes sense for me to write in the afternoonish.

But I really like the nighttime better. It's generally calmer and more relaxing. And If I'm really lucky, I'll have had a chance to sit on the prompt a little and think of a better answer than simply just telling you like it is. Like today for an example...I had time to kill before an appointment, so I looked up the prompts. And now I'm killing time waiting, which means I'm not rushing to cram a less-than-stellar entry down your eye sockets.

The best answer I can really give you though, is writing's best when my head is clear of worry and distractions. That's why I miss my old ManCave so much. If I was sitting at the computer trying to write the Entry Of The Decade (and let's be honest, who isn't), all I would have to do is give one look up and whoever would be trying to talk to me would just know I'm not to be disturbed. Try puling that move among the general population. It's not so easy. *Smirk*

BCF PROMPT: "You’ve been asked to speak at your high school alma mater — about the path of life. (Whoa.) Draft the speech."

Oh boy. Man, outside of having to say a few words at a wedding, I don't think I've ever been asked to give any kind of speech, let alone one at a formal commencement in front of a few hundred of people.

Not that I can't do it...I don't really have a fear of public speaking once I get settled and comfortable. It's that no one's ever asked. [Side note: I can be had at your function for a negotiable rate.]

I was, however, once assembled with a small group of my fellow seniors to give a short talk to the next class of graduates, during our last day of classes. I don't know why I was one of the ones picked. I assume it's because I was part of the "Order & Discipline" committee. It was a diverse group of students that was meant to promote friendship and good behavior. I was not picked for this committee of upstanding young people because I was any bit orderly or disciplined. I may have been the least likely person in this organization, and probably had the biggest disciplinary record as well.

But there I was, giving a short spiel about respect and how it's your last year and to look out for each other because you may never see them again. I doubt by September any of those kids remembered it; to this day I don't even know what exactly I said.

When I was done, there was a lot of applause. I really didn't think I'd reached any of them and wasn't totally expecting to. I think it was more likely that I hadn't existed up until that point, or at the least was disliked. But for some reason, those kids got it. A few even went as far as complimenting my speech and approach, and asked me if I'd consider failing senior year just so I could graduate with them. Touching, in a weird way. However, I had a light and easy course load my senior year, and you can't just fail when you're taking four study halls in an eight-class schedule. *Smirk*

So to the graduating class of 2013, these are my words to you from a 20-year graduate and fellow Cheektowaga Warrior: be careful, because you never know who's paying attention, or how they might try to lure you into things you know you might not want to be a part of. It doesn't stop when you flip your tassel and cross the stage (unless flipping tassels is how you intend to pay for college). It's going to happen through your adult life as well, whether it's your boss, your friends or your stodgy mother-in-law. It's life...just do what's best for you. CENTRAL HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!!

MUSICAL BREAK!!

*Guitar* Ahhh, the classic "high school sucks" summer jam for the emo-punk kids from back in the day. *Piano*



VITAL STATS:

*Drbag* My anxiety is through the roof today. But any kind of doctor's appointment or session will do that to me. I had some EKG's done last spring for high blood pressure...and it turns out that just sitting in a doctor's office sent my blood pressure flying. So, to come up with something in regards to my "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS portion of today's instant internet classic, no, today was not a good day to try typing. At least I'm not totally regretting my decision to lay off the caffeine/energy drinks/Mountain Dew again for awhile. I'd only be 1000x more of a mess.

*Dollar* I did manage to do a grown-up thing today...I opened my first bank account in about six years. Don't ask me why it's been so long since I've last had one. I really didn't need one. But since nobody cashes federal tax return checks (and really, why should they if you asked for your return to be issued on a debit card and they still cut you the check anyway), it became a bit of a priority.

*People* I have a long-unseen relative coming into town tonight. Don't wanna say too much about it but it should be interesting.

And so it goes, friends. My head's about to explode, and I've got a few things to do before I try to get out of the house later. Peace, get lots of rest (I didn't *Sad* ), and GOODNIGHT NOW!!


© Copyright 2013 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/783165-This-ones-about-writing-and-speaking