*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/783758-Where-Have-All-the-Soldiers-Gone
Rated: E · Book · Entertainment · #1932477
It is a waste to ignore the musings of the mind.
#783758 added May 29, 2013 at 3:01am
Restrictions: None
Where Have All the Soldiers Gone?
What does Memorial Day mean?

The popular answer is: barbecues, parties. It is another holiday that we do not go to work. It is a fun day when all we think of is eating, drinking, eating more and drinking more - and that's about it. By the end of the day we are tired - and off to sleep we go!

Then there is another answer: the remembrance of wars past, of military personnel, of fallen heroes. We remember husbands, wives, sisters, brothers - soldiers of our land - who offered their lives so that we, civilians, can continue to savor the freedom that our fallen heroes tried to defend with their lives in the wars.

We remember the nightmares of bombs; the sentence of death that weapons of destruction brings down upon the people, whose country is the setting of such wars; the cruelty dealt upon a country and its people; the loss of dignity and honor of a defeated country; the shame that we bear in our hearts for starting an evil war; we remember the grief and regret that overcome us for taking up arms against another country - all these and more, we remember; and as we remember, we know in our hearts and in our minds that wars are wrong, are evil, are the downfall of a country.

Lest we forget, Memorial Day is a day of reminiscing, a day to look at the white crosses in cemeteries, and know that we are FREE!!!

© Copyright 2013 elephantsealer (UN: liliapadwes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
elephantsealer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/783758-Where-Have-All-the-Soldiers-Gone