*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785979-Monday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#785979 added July 1, 2013 at 7:49pm
Restrictions: None
Monday
What a day! Not a bad day, but a trying and tiring day. A while back I began working morning shifts for the weekends, but today I switched over to morning shifts everyday. In fact, today was my first official morning shift day.

I got to work at fifteen minutes after, even though the shift starts at ten minutes before the hour. I was not "late" since the guy who works the morning shift was already there and working. No, not late, right on time.

I had no idea what time to get there, but I wanted to witness things myself this morning. I clocked in over the phone, found the Assistant General Manager and got set up in the observation room, and set down to enjoy the morning show. Well, maybe not so much to enjoy the show, but to see just what Mr. Lackadaisical was doing.

He washed his face with our hand-wipes, then put in eye-drops. After that he sat down and made himself comfortable. He had already let the first vendor into the yard by this time, and he must have already opened the exit gate. I watched as Mr. Lackadaisical dozed off a bit. He was kind of bobbing and swaying, then as sleep became deeper, he almost fell off his chair.

He didn't, though, and soon was slouched down even further in the chair, out cold. It was during this phase of his morning nap that the vendor exited the yard. With the gate open, the vendor only slowed down a little as he drove right past the guardhouse. Mr. Lackadaisical did wake up as the truck went by, and closed the gate arm behind him. He then reached up from his slouched sitting position and logged the time on the truck log. This completed, he settled back in and returned to sleep.

I went and found the assistant general manager, so he could accompany me to the guardhouse to give Mr. Lackadaisical a choice, quit or get fired. Of course, being diplomatic, I would use better terms for the same functions.

As we neared the guardhouse, it was plain Mr. Lackadaisical was again sleeping. I opened the door and his head came up, eyes opened, and I could see the strain he was going through trying to focus and think through the haze of sleep. I don't think it all registered at first, and we made some small talk. Then, as the cobwebs cleared, he began to realize that it was early, i was not only dressed for work, but had my name tag on as well.

We then proceeded to the point of my visit, he tried to cover his butt, and he even denied sleeping until I pointed out I had just watched him. I gave him his options, put the emphasis on it being his choice to resign or not, and waited. I mentioned a couple of times it would be wise to leave on his own instead of being terminated, but did not actually tell him it was certain.

I did explain that we could also complete another corrective action form, and handed him the paperwork. It stated on there that I was seeking separation, but it also explained I would only suspend him and wait for the office to confirm or offer an alternative course of action. He did not read it, just handed it back and decided to resign. I had a form ready and he filled it out in front of the manager who was there to witness for me that i did not coerce or trick him into signing the form.

Then, he turned in his equipment and left to clock out and seek an alternative career. It was now 06:00 and I was now working the morning shift, all the time.

© Copyright 2013 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/785979-Monday