*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786370-Is-It-Better-to-Spend-Time-in-the-Forest-or-in-the-City
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#786370 added July 8, 2013 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
Is It Better to Spend Time in the Forest or in the City?
The July 8, 2013 prompt for "Blogging Circle of Friends Prompt Forum and "Invalid Item is
Would you rather spend time in the forest or the city?

In the Forest

In the forest, trees rise over a small clearing in the center of which is built a one-room log cabin. The trees shade the cabin in the morning and afternoon, but at high noon the sun shines directly onto the center of the clearing and the cabin. Behind the cabin, on the west side of the clearing, is a path leading into the forest, if you follow that path for about one-hundred yards you will come to a small wooden building with a half-moon cut into the door. An unpleasant odor emits from this building, open the door and you will find a one-set toilet also constructed of wood with old catalogs or magazines lying in neat piles close to the toilet seat. This little house is the outhouse for the log cabin.

The cabin faces east and has one door in the front with a window on the right side of the door. The window, which cannot be opened, contains a single pane of glass. Inside the cabin an iron cooking stove sits in the center with a pipe leading up through the roof. This wood burning range has an oven built into its left side and a place to put wood or kindling on the right. The top of this stove will hold three or four skillets or other cooking pans. On the south side of the stove is a wooden table with two chairs. Sitting near the window is a little round writing table with one chair and next to this is a small bookcase holding several book. At the back of the cabin, behind the stove, is a bed large enough for one adult.

In front of the cabin is another path leading into the forest. If you follow this path or about two-hundred yards you come to a stream of fresh flowing water. This is where the cabin's inhabitant gets the water she uses. The water has to be carried back to the cabin in a bucket.

In the City

A two-story eastward facing townhouse sits in a gated community, with a neatly manicured front lawn. On the first floor is a living room, kitchen, and a modern toilet. This townhouse has two doors, one leads from the front into the living room and the other door leads from the all electric kitchen into a backyard surround by a stonewall. A staircase leads from the living room to the second story. The second story contains two bedrooms and a shared bathroom located between the two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is used as an office with computers, printer, desk, a bookcase containing several books, and a closet used for storing office supplies. The other is used as a regular bedroom and bed, chest of draws, dresser, nightstands, and a closet.

Where would I rather live?

Given those two scenario, I would rather live in the city where I have indoor plumbing and electricity. If I could have a house in the forest similar to the townhouse in the city and within twenty miles of a city or small town, then I would chose the forest. I decided several years ago that there are certain modern conveniences I like and want. I like living close to movies and restaurants. I like having indoor plumbing and electricity. I like having a computer and being able to read after dark without lighting a candle. If I cannot have these things living in a forest then I prefer the city.

© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/786370-Is-It-Better-to-Spend-Time-in-the-Forest-or-in-the-City