*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788451-The-Member-Formerly-Known-As-aka-The-Real-SoCalScribe
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#788451 added August 8, 2013 at 1:40pm
Restrictions: None
The Member Formerly Known As (a.k.a. The Real SoCalScribe)

Over the past couple weeks, I've been giving a lot of thought to my online presence. In addition to the usual Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, (and of course, Writing.Com), I'm a member of several online communities, most of which - like this one - offer members the ability to create a username and/or handle under which they interact with the community. My original online handle/username was always "ragefire2000" (anyone remember my account from way back then? *Laugh*), and I changed it to "socalscribe" about four years ago when I realized the angsty username I created in high school didn't suit me anymore. SoCalScribe is the identity I've used with most online sites and services ever since. I like the username and it works for me, as long as I don't move out of Southern California! (I do admit there were three false alarms where I almost had to change it to NorCalScribe, SeattleScribe, and NYSCribe ... but I digress).

Lately, I've been feeling like I've outgrown that identity as a handle. It's fine for a username (don't worry, I'm not changing that again *Laugh*), but I'm reaching a point in my life where I don't feel the need to hide behind an anonymous online identity. I'm well past the point where "flame wars" and other internet trolling hold any kind of appeal, and it's been several years since I've acted differently online than I do in person. At this point in my life, I am who I am, and there isn't really a reason to hide behind the anonymity of a handle. I have nothing to hide with either my behavior or the things I choose to write and put out there in the world.

At least that's what I've been feeling lately.

So I decided to do a test run with one web community and see how it works. I'm getting rid of the anonymous handle and will start using my real name instead. Not a pseudonym or a different fictional identity (I considered that, but 'Carlos Danger' was already taken *Laugh*) ... the real name that my parents gave me, that I have printed on my business cards at work, and the name that I respond to when people talk to me in the real world.

I chose Writing.Com for my trial run for two reasons. First, a lot of people know my real name here anyway. I don't do too much to hide it, so I don't think this is going to come as any great shock to many people since a lot of people already refer to me by my real name in private correspondence, forum posts, etc. Second (and more importantly), I've been here a really long time and Writing.Com is like a family to me. It almost feels weirder to have someone say "Hey SoCal!" instead of using my given name, especially when it's a user I've known and interacted with for years.

So as of today, I'm changing my handle to my real name. I'm leaving 'socalscribe' in there for a while so there isn't any confusion, and my actual username will stay the same so there's as little transitional inconvenience as possible. But as of today, the name you see next to that purple suitcase will be my real name.

With that in mind... Hi! I'm Jeff. If we haven't met already, it's nice to meet you.

P.S. I swear this isn't some Senior Moderator power struggle to sway the balance in favor of monosyllabic "J" names (sorry, Joy and JACE - House Targaryen !) *Laugh*

© Copyright 2013 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/788451-The-Member-Formerly-Known-As-aka-The-Real-SoCalScribe