*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790375
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1950538
A boy becomes a legend.
#790375 added February 10, 2015 at 5:29am
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER TEN: SECRETS
CHAPTER TEN: SECRETS


Later that night, inside the theater, Timmy had awakened from another nightmare and was wandering the dark and empty halls as he had done many a restless night before.  Only that night, he was more depressed than he had ever been.

'I don't know what Ken was looking for in my dad's private office. But I guess I should thank him. I never could find the key to the door.'

  The private office was a room Timmy's father had built himself, hidden in a far corner of the west wing.  No one except Timmy and his parents knew it was there but only his mom and dad had the key.  It was a place where the two could go to be alone for whatever reason. Timmy was always curious about the office and had often tried to get in. He was hoping to find some clue, any clue as to where his mom and dad had gone and when they were going to come back for him. The ventilation shaft was too small for him to get in and there were no secret entrances to it. Even if he could, it did not seem right to sneak in.  Even after Ken had managed to find and gain entry to the office, it took Timmy some time to find the courage to go in and look around.

  He had found a number of personal items that belonged to his parents, including a small picture of him standing with them in front of the theater entrance.  Timmy had managed to open the small safe in the back of the closet after finding the combination on a scrap piece of paper hidden inside one of the desk drawers.  Upon looking through the safe, however, he found a memory he had hoped to forget.  It was tucked away, into the very back of the safe, behind a large bag of rolled change.  It was a small, beautifully wrapped package had a tiny tag tied to it with Timmy's name printed upon it, his long belated birthday present.

  Timmy was crying as he walked out of the office, carefully cradling the small package in his hands. He wanted to take it to his small crawlspace home before opening it but paused at a corner window. A noise had caught his attention and he gazed out to find two of the bouncers out in the middle of the theater parking lot. They were looking about as if standing guard while, behind them, Stone guided a large white van as it slowly backed up down a loading ramp to the double door side service entrance.

  'What are they up to?  It's a little late for deliveries.'

  Curious, Timmy watched as the four men hurried back and forth, quickly loading the truck with several pieces of prop furniture.  He eventually became bored and was about to continue to his hideaway. Only one of the bouncers dropped his side of a prop table onto the blacktop. Seeing this sparked a memory, sending his heart racing as the small package fell from his trembling hands.

**********


  He and his mother had walked out the side entrance to see if his father was done for the day. They found him supervising the same three bouncers as they were loading a similar truck with prop furniture.  One of the men dropped a table onto the blacktop and one of the legs broke off, sending something flying out from within it.

  'What is this?' demanded Timmy's father. He picked up the object and examined it before turning to a man, standing in the shadows. 'So this is what you've been up to!  Did you think I wouldn't figure it out!?!'

  'Jonathan, what's wrong?' Frightened, Timmy's mother asked.

  Timmy's father turned to his wife and son with his face turning an ashen white.  He turned back the four men who had turned surprised to face his son and wife.

  'I am truly sorry you and your son had to be here to see this, ma'am.' From the shadows, Stone's voice said. He turned to the three bouncers. 'Kill them.'

  Jonathan quickly took up the prop table and threw it into the three advancing men and ran for the side entrance, yelling, 'Run, Martha, run!'


**********


  'Careful, you incompetent fools!' Scolding, Stone yelled in the lot. 'That is a very expensive prop you are mishandling!'

  'We won't be able to take everything before dawn, Mr. Stone.' Glancing at his watch, Wayne reported. 'We will have to make one last run early tomorrow night.'

  Stone frowned. 'That's cutting it close; tomorrow is opening night.' He sighed, knotting his jaws in decision. 'Just make certain all of the basement storage rooms are locked tight.'

  Max nodded and walked inside with Wayne following.  He caught up with him just as he was walking back towards the exit.

  'Are they all locked tight?'

  'Yeah, they're locked.' Max tested one door to prove it.

  'Then let's get out of here, I for one can use some sleep.'

  The two walked back towards the service entrance, unaware that one of the storeroom doors had swung slightly inward. Minutes later, the men piled into the van and pulled out of the lot away from the theater unaware that they were being watched. Inside, Timmy turned away from the window with angered tears running down his face. He backed into a wall and slid to the cold hallway floor, vainly trying to block out the hurtful memory.

  'Kill them.'  'Run, Martha! Run!'

  He slowly took the package back into his shaking hands. Looking at it, he was again reminded of how long he had been living alone. There was a bitter taste in the back of his throat as he swallowed down a lump of his tears. 'This was the present mom and dad promised me the night they...'

  Timmy choked, vainly trying to hold back his tears and began to slowly  carefully tear off the aged wrapping, revealing a small black box with a gold colored hinge in the back. His hands trembling, he opened the box to find a shiny gold ring with the emblem of comedy and tragedy etched onto the top in silver.  Timmy pulled the ring out of the box and found his name etched in silver on the gold band.

The bitter taste in his throat getting worse, he delicately slid the ring onto his finger; it fit perfectly. He was happy, even relieved to get his long promised birthday present but it did not come close to filling the void he had felt since he had lost his parents. He began to tearfully sing 'Happy Birthday' as he rocked himself on the floor in the dark and empty hallway.

**********


  Elsewhere, inside a spacious hotel, Alex and the other young actors were sitting comfortably while they took turns scanning through the journal that had belonged to Timmy's father.

  'What do you think of those record books Jeff and Jason dropped off, Alex?' Raising an eyebrow, Stan questioned.

  'Someone was keeping two sets of books when Timmy's father owned the Open Door theater.' Frowning, Alex stated. 'The problem is, these false books are being kept today, meaning whatever was happening then is still happening today right under the Stravis' noses.'

  Paul sighed, frustrated. 'The question is what is it?'

  The journal was passed to Scott; he looked through it but paused upon reaching near the end. 'Hey, guys; this might be something.'

  'Well, read it.' Impatient, Leuey demanded.

  Scott cleared his throat and began to read.

  *June first, Ever since I agreed to let my head of security run my theater prop and supply factory warehouse, there has been a rush of orders from theaters across the nation.  Ordinarily, I would be thrilled.  But the orders he has been placing into the books do not make any sense.  A number of the theaters on his shipping invoices have been closed for years.  There are also a small number of theaters on the list I have never even heard of. I fear my head of security is up to something.  The question is, what?*

  Scott stopped reading for a moment and turned to the others.

  'Didn't Brandy say that Mr. Stone was the head of security in this theater before it had closed down?'

  The other boys slowly nodded, remembering Brandy's little speech during the theater tour. 'Keep reading.' Alex urged.

  Scott turned back to the journal and continued to read.

  *July tenth: My head of security has asked for my permission to use the basement of my theater to store a number of props for the overwhelming orders that have been pouring in.  I agreed to it only so I could keep a closer eye on him.  I fear my security team is tied into some form of illegal activities, something big. It is a good thing this theater was built with a large number of secret passageways and hidden rooms.  If my security team is up to something, my wife, son, and I will stand a chance of slipping away and notifying the authorities.*

  Scott looked up from the journal again, surprised.  'So that's how Timmy managed to elude everyone for so long; he has been using these secret passageways and rooms as well as the ventilation shafts.'

  The other boys looked at each other, surprised but the shock was short lived as Alex spoke.  'Never mind that; we need to find out what went down between Timmy's father and Mr. Stone.'

  Scott turned the page to the final entry in the journal.

  *July twenty first: I have found a number of props from my factory warehouse inside a few of the secret passageways and rooms.  I fear this can only mean that my security team knows of them, or at least some of them. I can no longer plan on using them as an escape. I cannot, will not risk my family's safety. I insisted to oversee all in going and outgoing shipments from the theater.  My security team agreed but I suspect they were not happy about it at all.  I fear they are using my factory and theater for some form of smuggling operation, though I do not have any proof as of yet. I also fear my security team is not working alone but without proof I can only watch them and prey I am wrong. If they are doing what I fear, our lives are in grave danger.*

  Scott looked up from the journal for the last time. 'Well, that is it. Timmy's father suspected Mr. Stone was using his prop factory and theater to smuggle something.'

  'That doesn't make much sense.' Shaking his head, Leuey pointed out. 'What can anyone possibly smuggle through a theater?'

  Alex grunted, his face twisting into an angry scowl. 'I can think of a few things.'

  'Well, whatever it was, Timmy's father must have found out and his own security team killed him, his wife, and tried to kill Timmy to make certain it stayed a secret.'

  'That would explain the false set of records Jeff and Jason found.' Scowling, Tex said. 'It also means it was likely Max who shot Timmy.' He slammed a fist into his free hand, turning to Scott. 'Get ready to make those knuckle sandwiches.'

  'There is enough evidence here to start an investigation but not enough to tie Mr. Stone to the murder of Timmy's parents or any kind of smuggling operation.' Raising a hand, Alex pointed out. 'We need more; some solid proof that there is a smuggling operation going on.'

  Albeit reluctantly, the boys nodded in agreement before Ken asked, 'Does anyone have any ideas?'

**********


  Early the next morning at the theater, Angel walked into the lobby and discretely searched for signs of Timmy's presence. As usual, she did not see him but assumed he was watching. She had no clue that Timmy had just fallen asleep after a long night of staring at his ring and pondering his now uncertain future.

  'Good morning, Angel.' said Brandy. 'I heard you would like to help out my boys until the rest of the performers arrive.'

  Angel shrugged. 'It beats having to do homework.'

  Brandy laughed. 'Jeff and Jason on stage running drills; I'll take you to them.'

  Angel looked around as they walked. 'Where is my dad? I thought he would be here.'

  'Oh, he had an early legal appointment to get to.' Lightly, Brandy explained. She waved her hand, expressing it was not a huge issue and added, 'He should be back before final rehearsals begin.'

  On the stage, Jeff and Jason talked quietly as they darted up and back stage, timing each other as they moved props into and out of position so they would be ready when the final rehearsals began.

  ''And then he just lost it.' Finishing his story, Jeff stated. 'I had to physically hold him back before he tore up his entire room.'

  Jason shook his head. 'Wow! Is he going to be okay?'

  'I don't know. He was wondering the halls when I got here; he looked seriously shook up about something. I finally managed to talk him into getting some sleep.  It was the strangest thing; he kept mumbling something about the basement.'

  Jason again shook his head as the two then got behind a piano and pushed it onto the stage. 'I just hope he doesn't do anything stupid.'

  Jeff let out a weary sigh.  'You're not the only one.'

  The two stopped talking upon seeing Brandy walk onto the stage with Angel in tow. 'We have an early visitor.' said Brandy.

  'Good morning, Angel.' Smiling, Jason said. 'What brings you to the theater so early?'

  'Her mother had an early court appointment; it could not be avoided.' Lightly, Brandy said. 'She and I agreed that it would be best if Angel helped you two here until the other performers arrive.'

  'Glad to have you aboard, Angel.' Grinning, Jeff said. 'Where would you like to start?'

Angel shrugged her shoulders. 'Where would you like me to start?'

'Well, I can already see that you are in good hands.' Leaving the stage, Brandy stated. 'Don't work her too hard, boys; I will never hear the end of it from my husband if she loses her fire from over work.'

  'We'll be gentle.' promised Jason.'

  Brandy smiled and nodded before walking off the stage and exiting passed the seemingly endless row of seats to the theater lobby. Once she was gone, Angel turned to Jeff and Jason, a serious look of concern. 'Okay, boys, what exactly happened with Timmy last night?'

  'I'll explain.' Gulping, Jeff said. 'I went up to visit him shortly after his encore performance''

  When Jeff finished his story, Angel sunk her teeth into her lower lip, thinking. Finally, she turned to Jeff with an inquisitive expression that told him a thought was forming as she asked, 'You said he kept mumbling something about the basement?'

  'The basement is off limits to children without an adult escort.' Serious, Jason pointed out. 'You could get us all into real trouble if you're caught sneaking around down there.'

  'Someone is hiding a secret in this theater and Timmy's parents were killed to keep it. He deserves to know the truth; I am going to find it.'

  'If someone killed Timmy's folks to keep their secret, they will not hesitate to do the same to you.' Darkly, Jeff warned. 'We'll cover for you but promise us you will be careful.'

  'I'll be careful.' Running off, Angel promised. 'If I find anything, you two will be the first to know.' With that, she sneaked out of the auditorium; leaving Jeff and Jason to worry.

  Minutes later, a large white van pulled into the side parking lot and pulled in front of the delivery entrance.  Mr. Stone stepped out of the passenger side and guided the driver as he backed the truck as close to the entrance door as possible.

  'That's good.' Holding his hand up, he called. 'Let's get this done.'

  'I don't feel right about doing this in broad daylight.' Stepping out, Wayne said. 'We could be seen.

  'We don't have any choice.' Frowning, Al stated. 'People, Paparazzi, and the police will be swarming all over this building tonight; we have to clear everything out and move it to our new location before then.'

  'But first, we must deal with the boy.' Darkly, Stone reminded. 'He is the only one who can expose us.'

  'What of the girl?' Darkly, Max demanded.

  'I've been thinking about her.' replied Stone. 'As long as she has no proof, she's not a threat to us.  Now let's get started.'

  At that time, inside the basement, Angel cautiously walked down the dark halls, trying every door she came across until she found one that was open ajar.  She pushed the door inward and walked into a spacious storeroom cluttered with prop furniture.

  'This is as good of a place to start as any other.'

  Angel began to search the storeroom, not knowing what she was looking for, and spotted a small cupboard in the back of the room, above a wide, elegant table with a tassel hanging from each leg.

'That looks promising.'

  She tried to reach the cupboard over the table but found it impossible and pulled the table forward to get around it only it would not budge.  Unknown to her, one of the tassel rings was snagged onto a heavy hook in the wall.

'That's funny. It doesn't seem that heavy.'

  Angel gave the table a hard yank, pulling the pin out of the table, causing the leg to fall off, onto the floor with a faint thud which she heard and saw the table leg lying on the floor.

  'I'd better fix that; otherwise Stone will know someone was down here.'

  Angel crawled under the table and picked up the leg to try to put it back on but froze as a tiny clear bag fell out from inside the leg. 'What's this junk?'

  She picked up the package studied the fine powder inside for a moment then looked at the table leg and found it hollow, packed with several other small packages, filled with the same curious white powder. 'That's odd; why would someone hide...'

  A heavy wave of realization suddenly swept over her, forcing a loud fearful gasp to escape her lips.  The table leg fell from her nervously numbed hand as all of the pieces of the puzzle finally began to fit together within her mind.  'This is the secret Timmy's parents were killed to keep!' Trembling, she hoarsely whispered. 'Someone is using this theater to smuggle drugs!'
© Copyright 2015 Scifiwizard Retired (UN: scilock at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scifiwizard Retired has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790375