*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790883-Give-us-a-Break
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#790883 added September 8, 2013 at 6:12am
Restrictions: None
Give us a Break
I am still looking for five positive things a day and attempting to count my blessings at the end of each day, but...

You know I'm not normally one to complain, *Rolleyes*, but I am feeling a bit peeved. All my friends seems to be taking holiday after holiday, which makes me ponder if they have money trees in their gardens as well as no restrictions to their lives. Several have no children or grandchildren, others have no parents and some have neither. There are pros and cons to every situation, but I do find myself wondering if I will ever have any freedom of choice. I understand there are others far worse off, but..

We have managed one week away this year and that was hardly relaxing with things kicking off at home as regards new baby arriving. It seems something always happens while we're on holiday and has done for many years. Yes, I'm truly grateful to have enjoyed three trips to the USA in the last five years and am aware some people get no chance of a holiday at all, but...

Hubby's Mum has been in and out of hospital since March. Her present stay began in July after a minor fall at home. The hospital keep taking blood, performing tests, avoiding any diagnosis and basically are doing very little. She has no serious conditions that we know of and isn't receiving any specific treatment. She's probably safer and being monitored more in hospital, but...

It means hubby has to visit every day and we cannot go away. Little gets done in the home with phone calls to relatives and friends, formalities and paperwork. Without sounding harsh, she'll be 99 on Friday, is very frail and I just don't think the hospital know what to do with her. Yes, many will envy still having a parent when you're pushing 70 yourself, but...

The quality of life is bound to deteriorate as we age and sadly we too are reaching the point where we're left pondering how long we will be able to take holidays abroad even if we had the chance. After almost twenty years of caring for my own parents, the pressure of my son's bizarre marriage and the ongoing saga with additional children it's been a very tough and stressful time. Yes, I know I have lovely grandchildren some would give anything for, but...

With a disabled, foreign and sometimes very difficult mother and a dad who has to work very hard to make ends meet, it falls upon us to help out a lot more than other grandparents and we are all they have. We do our best, but frequently end up shattered, financially depleted and not aware of a great deal of gratitude. Yes, I know parents in general will do anything to help their children and give unconditional love, but...

We're tired. We need a break. We hoped to take another trip to the USA next May, but the couple we travel with are waiting for their own son and his wife to approve an appropriate date as they want another baby and don't want their parents to go over there until it's born. How long will that take? How long is a piece of string? I understand their logic, but...

In the meantime we're all getting older and less likely to be able to travel. The day to day humdrum of looking after children and geriatrics continues and it will soon be too late to take a holiday this year. The thought of winter and all the hype that goes with it is hardly uplifting, particularly with the raw memories of hubby's life threatening ordeal last year. Yes, we are grateful he pulled through and I know I should heed my own advice about taking one day at a time on board, but...

Is it too much to ask for some peace and freedom of choice in retirement? Yes, I know s *** happens, but our heap of dung seems to be ever growing and impossible to flush.

Gripe over.


© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790883-Give-us-a-Break