*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790998-September-Newsletter-2013
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#790998 added May 29, 2019 at 9:38pm
Restrictions: None
September Newsletter 2013
Preparing for NaNoWriMO

Questions to Ask when planning a novel


"I had six honest serving men. They taught me all I knew. Their names were: Where, What, When, Why, How and Who." - Kipling, Rudyard

"You can fix everything but a blank page" - Nora Roberta


I am participating in NaNoWriMo this year, so I need to begin planning my novel. The first step to planning my novel is deciding on a subject or theme. This will not be difficult because I have three ideas stored in my port. Two of the ideas concern plots and one is about a character. The only thing I have to do is decide which idea I want to use. I could combine the character with one of the plots, which would take care of two of the six questions I need to answer.

One of the plots is for a fantasy novel, while the other is science fiction. The character's name and description works better in a fantasy novel. How do I choose which idea to use? I plan to use timed free write exercises to answer the six questions. I plan to use an oven timer set for ten to fifteen minutes for each question. Once I begin writing then I continue to write until the timer sounds. This way I can spread the exercises over several days, which will give me a chance to contemplate the plots and the characters.

Where does the novel take place? Who are the characters? What is the conflict occurring in the novel? When does the novel take place? Why do the characters react the way they do to the conflict and each other? How is the conflict resolved? These are the fist questions I want to answer, but I am sure that once I have written my answers other questions will arise. Answering these questions for each of my ideas will help me decide which idea I want to pursue.

Preparing for NaNoWriMo by planning the novel will helps a writer get started and it makes sure that the page is never blank. I know there are other ways to prepare for NaNoWriMo and plan a novel. How do you plan your NaNoWriMo novels? Are you going to participate in NaNoWriMo 2013?


What are your thoughts about NaNoWriMo? Do you have any writing rituals that helps you write?

© Copyright 2019 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/790998-September-Newsletter-2013