*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793174-Painting
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#793174 added October 4, 2013 at 10:01pm
Restrictions: None
Painting
October 3rd, 2013*Writing*

I will develop this theme as the day goes on. After all that was the point at which I left. A man I will call Sam, a developmentally disabled elderly man was painting. I was blessed to be a part of this sacred moment, even if I could only stay to watch Sam paint for one hour. Sam was equipped with painting paper, beautiful paint brushes, cups of water and paint. What set this moment apart from others I have experienced was the diligence and committment to the task. He knew exactly what he wanted to do and if asked he would tell you. His smile and laughter communicated he loved what he was doing, even if it meant that there would always be people who did not see what he did the same way. Before I left he was painting an ocean and some trees. His goal was to make two to fifteen dollars selling his painting to a staff member.
*Boat2*
I will carry the image of Sam with me wherever I go. He is disabled and even complained at brief times about pain in the arm he was painting with. It was fun to see someone caring and passionate about what they were doing. It reminded me of a time brothers went bowling and consider it joy just to be able to come along. People are waiting to be seen. Their paintings are priceless. Who will come to invest in a persons future. The paintings are priceless!!!!*BigSmile*

What I remember most from the encounter is that Sam had so much more work to do and he was not going to stop for anybody. There was a committment that transcended expectations of those around him. He reminded me of another client I took care of, Sally. Sally had the mental age of a five year old and yet when it came to writing she would get started and she would be writing well into the night. I consider people like Sam and Sally my inspirations. Even when I feel like I want it to end, I find some reason to go on. Over time I will be able to get the complete picture even if it takes every day that I have left. I am convinced that as I write I unravel tangles. I reach for the words, notes that others will want to read and share with others. God bless.*Cool*

© Copyright 2013 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/793174-Painting