*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796350-Trick-or-treat
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #1944628
I will share the many thoughts that invade my introspective soul.
#796350 added October 31, 2013 at 8:01pm
Restrictions: None
Trick or treat
October 31, 2013

It seems something needs to be said about trick or treat. In younger days the concept seemed more about getting candy without having someone mess with you. In present day, the emphasis seems to in determining what the meaning of the day is. Much is made about the fact that the day celebrates satanic personages. There are a few members of my family who could preach for hours about this very thing. Then there are the more liberal ideas of trick or treat that are just in it for the candy. My daughter refused to even want to get dressed up, which was supposed to be the whole point of the day. It was all about getting candy and over time the outlets seemed fathomless.

I guess over time I become sober in my own attitudes. I welcome my grandkids to come visit. This year my oldest grandson will be a pirate. Last year he was a turtle. I like the idea of putting on a mask to discover who one really is. I think all of us put on masks of one kind or another whether we want to admit it or not. I am okay with the mask and the candy. I do not like the tricks and attempts at seeing who can be the scariest/creepiest. I think life has enough potential for this without to have a day dedicated to its conception. My grandkids are young and I fear for their safety as they get older. Over time I hope the boundaries between the two get clearer. Grace is an undeserved treat, while faith reminds us of the tricks, obstacles to belief. God bless, trick or treat!!

© Copyright 2013 drifter (UN: peterson4279 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
drifter has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796350-Trick-or-treat