*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796413-NaNoWriMo-Day-1-Chapter-1---A-Change-in-Holiday-Plans
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Family · #1956638
NaNoWriMo 2013
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#796413 added November 29, 2013 at 10:27am
Restrictions: None
NaNoWriMo Day 1: Chapter 1 - A Change in Holiday Plans
Chapter 1: About Daniella Coffey
A Change in Holiday Plans

Daniella, her salt and pepper hair in a ponytail, stood in the fryer staring at the mail on the antic oak game table. The letter laying on top of pile was from her Aunt Dolly. I wonder, she thought, what Mom did to piss Aunt Dolly off this time. Picking up the letters, she walked slowly toward the kitchen. She never likes getting a letter from her stepfather's sister, but since Dolly lived only a few houses from her Mother in Blackwell, Oklahoma contact was inevitable. Once in the kitchen, Daniella placed the letters on the breakfast table and then went to the coffee maker.

Smiling, she poured herself a hot cup, placed it on the table next to the letters, and then went to the refrigerator. Opening the freeze door, she took out a pint of chocolate ice cream and started back to the table. Pausing in front of the silverware drawer, she opened it and removed a desert spoon, and then continued to the table. At the table, she opened the ice cream and then the letter from her Aunt Dolly. Taking a sip of coffee, she opened the letter and began to read.

Dear Dani,

Why. Daniella frowned, does the old bat always have to address me like that. She sighed, {The witch knows I prefer her to call me Daniella. Daniella put the spoon in the ice cream and began eating before continuing with the letter.

Dear Dani,

Amity is in one of her moods again. She has forbidden me to come into her house. She says the only reason I want to visit her is to steal her antique silver, which is ridiculous because those are family heirlooms and belong to your brother Ethan. Why should I want to steal my favorite nephews inheritance. Dani, I swear, you mother is getting senile! After all, she will be 90 years old on August 25. Dani, you had better damn well better get down here immediately before she does something stupid and endangers the entire neighborhood.

Your loving,
Aunt Dolly,
July 31, 2013.

"Loving Aunt Dolly my ass," Daniella laughed as she got up and put the letter in the trash compactor. "The old witch can't stand my mother or the fact that Ethan, and not her own bastards, will get Papa Larry's antiques." She picked up the coffee and carried it to the table. "I suppose I'd better plan a Thanksgiving visit this year instead of a Christmas visit." She shook her head as she carried the carafe back to the coffee maker. "Preston isn't going to be happy about that, but he'll understand." Going back to the table she began eating the rest of the ice cream. "I'll just have make dinner for his mother at Christmas instead of Thanksgiving."

Daniella went into the foyer and picked up her purse. Sitting the purse on the oak table, she opened it and took out her cell phone. Accessing her contact list she dialed her mother land line, hoping that her mother would be home or awake.

"Hi, Mom," she smiled as she heard her mother's voice on the other end. "How are you doing?"

Odd, Daniella though, I almost thought Mom didn't recognize my voice.

"What's going on there?"

"Oh," she laughed, "so how is Uncle Henry?"

"Good!"

"Mom, I decided to come down on Thanksgiving instead of Christmas this year."

"No, Preston and I are still an item. It's just that I..."

"Yes, I got a letter from Aunt Dolly and..." Daniella didn't want to piss Amity off any more at Dolly, but she didn't know how to talk about the letter without upsetting her mother. "Well, Aunt Dolly seemed a bit worried about you, that's all."

"I know she doesn't act like, but, Mama, she is Papa Larry's sister and, at least subconsciously she worries about family."

"What did she do to piss you off this time?"

"Which one of the antiques did she want to barrow?"

"The serving tray... well, Mama, the next time she wants it, just tell her you have to discuss it with Ethan. After all it does belong to him."

"Yes, Mom, I know she tried to invalidate Papa's will, but that was because..."

"You're right, of course, Mom. Still she is Papa's sister and you should be polite to her."

"Maybe if we invite her for Thanksgiving. I'll convince Ethan to come as well."

"No, Mom, Preston can't come. His mother is arriving on November 25 or 26 and he wants to spend a little time with her before he introduces her to his friends."

"No, Mom, he doesn't have anything to hide... well, maybe he does. She doesn't know he's living with me now and renting his house out."

"The present tenants will be leaving in a couple of weeks, so the house will be empty by the time she gets here."

"I know, Mama, but Preston says she's a bit old fashion when it comes to living arrangements of unmarried couples. He's told her we're engaged and will have an engagement party around December 21 or 22."

"Yes, I know that's close to Christmas, but December 27 is his parents wedding anniversary and he want..."

"Mom, Preston and I are getting married in January of next year. Of course, I will consider a different time."

"January 1, will I guess a marriage ceremony is a good way to celebrate the new year."

"No, Mom, I'm not expecting."

"Mom, I'm 60 years old. I went through the change so..."

"Yes, Mom, I do know women my age get pregnant, but..."

"I tell you what, I'll talk to Preston about adopting a child."

"Yes, Mom, I know it isn't the same as having my own, but..."

"Tell you what, after Preston and I are married I'll see a fertility specialist and see if it is possible for me to give birth at may age."

"I promise," Daniella almost laughed. "Look, Mom, Ethan can still give you grandchildren. Yes, Mom he has several... I mean one lovely girl he's sweet on. I'll talk to them about giving you grandchildren the next time they come over for dinner."

"No, she can't come on Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, she has to work that week."

"Mother, Las Vegas is a twenty-four hour town and some people have to work on holidays."

"I agree, Mom, it's inconvenient, but that's how things are here in Vegas."

"I'll find out if they will move to Blackwell to be with you,"

"Bye, Mom."

She smiled as she cut the connection. Her mother's conversation was a bit odd, but she did not sound senile as Aunt Dolly has suggested. Perhaps the problems was Dolly's rudeness. That always pissed Amity off, that and the fact that Dolly did not think Amity was good enough for Papa Larry. Daniella had never been able to get the two women to be civil and Dolly always did something to piss Amity off. Daniella had to invite Dolly to the Thanksgiving dinner. "Or do I?" Perhaps it would be better if she spoke to Dolly privately instead of with Amity present. Especially, considering that her Uncle would not be there.

Leaving the foyer, she walked through the dining room and into the kitchen. "Evening, Jesse," she said to her live in housekeeper. "Is there anything left in the garden?"

"Few green tomatoes and some potatoes," Jesse turn from the sink where she was washing dirt off some potatoes. "but very little else. I'll get those tomorrow and..."

"Jesse," Daniella smiled, "you don't have to dig the potatoes. I'll come home early and do that."

"I know it sounds odd, Daniella, but I enjoy digging the potatoes and picking the other vegetables. That's one of the perks about working for you. I can pick fresh vegetable and take them home with me on my days off."

"Well, Jesse, do what you enjoy," she laughed. "Is your mother coming in on Thanksgiving or Christmas?"

"Neither, this year. The family is having a reunion on Thanksgiving so..."

"Would you like Thanksgiving week off, Jesse?"

"Yes, but I thought..."

"Unfortunately, Jesse, my Thanksgiving plans have changed. I'll be going to visit my mother in Oklahoma this year."

"Something wrong?"

"I don't know, Jesse," Daniella shook her head and sit her purse on the table. Then she poured herself a cup of coffee and put it in the microwave to heat. "Aunt Dolly thinks my mother is getting senile and Mom thinks my Aunt is trying to steal my brother's inheritance."

Taking the coffee to out of the microwave, she went to the kitchen table and sit down. "Since you'll be going back home, Jesse, why don't you take some of the stuff I canned this year with you."

"I would love to, but are you sure I won't be needed?"

"No," she took sip coffee. "Preston's mother will be in town and he'll be staying with her at his house. I'll contact Mary to keep an eye on the place before I leave."

"When are you leaving?"

"That depends on when Jose has the plane available. When I talked to him yesterday, he said he'd prefer to be out of town when his father-in-law arrives. Apparently, they don't get along very will. In fact, I should call him now before he gets another client for that week." Daniella frowned, "The more I think about it going, the more urgent it becomes."

"Is there something wrong with your mother?"

"I don't know, Jesse, when I talked to her a while ago the conversation was... a bit odd. She sounded,,, well, not confused, but... It was almost as if she didn't remember how old I was."

"What do you mean," Jesse dried her hands on a towel hanging on the refrigerator door, opened the door, removed an can of soda, and then sit down at the table.

"Jesse," Daniella laughed nervously. "My mother ask me if I was expecting a baby."

"But haven't you went through..."

"Jessee, I went through the change at 55. I discussed it with Mom at the time."

"Perhaps your mother is experiencing a reaction to one of her medications."

"That's possible, Jesse. I'll call Jose and book the flight for the evening of November 26, that way I can arrive in Blackwell on the morning of the 27th." Daniella got up, picked up her purse along with the letters he had not read and headed for her bedroom.




© Copyright 2013 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796413-NaNoWriMo-Day-1-Chapter-1---A-Change-in-Holiday-Plans