*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796753-Living-off-the-excesses-of-others
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1317094
Enga mellom fjella: where from across the meadow, poems sing from mountains and molehills.
#796753 added November 3, 2013 at 11:34pm
Restrictions: None
Living off the excesses of others...
...means I can live nicely!

Me:

If the wealthy weren't wasteful I couldn't afford second hand clothes or appliances. Gleaning autumn fruit would be difficult. Day old baked goods? Canned items the store can't sell?

If I had to pay premium prices I couldn't afford to live the way I do.

Even the building I live in is "old" by American standards and sub-standard because I have to share the toilet, tub and showers.

Yep. I'm blessed to live in a land of excess.

But free stuff is being threatened. Public schools, public libraries, public parks face privatization or fees. Pay-your-own way is another way to say the poor are not welcome.

In Costa Rica, very little is free. Even second hand can cost unless handed down through friends or family. One thing though: beaches and access to beaches and family camping at the beach. But even that is being threatened by politicians caving in to resorts for wealthy tourists who do not wish to be in contact with local people.

Still, I should be thankful. Yesterday I scored a free sugar-skull handed out at the Day of the Dead parade. And I picked up an abandoned carnation and a yellow origami lily. Trash to others but special to me.
43,817

© Copyright 2013 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/796753-Living-off-the-excesses-of-others