*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798782-Tasty-Tuesday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#798782 added November 27, 2013 at 5:05pm
Restrictions: None
Tasty Tuesday
With Hanukkah beginning tomorrow at sundown, and Thanksgiving the following day, my thoughts are rapidly turning to holiday foods.

The convergence of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving this year means that some of my favorite foods will share the same plate. But such a dilemma – with our small gathering of four people, how can I justify the many side dishes that make the holidays special for each of us?

I’ve decided to swap one Thanksgiving dish for a related Hanukkah dish, and call it a day. It works, really it does. Instead of fluffy mashed potatoes (which I seem to be the only one who eats . . . and eats . . . and eats *Sick*) I’m going to serve potato latkes with our Thanksgiving meal. The latkes, together with the homemade applesauce that goes with them and is always a part of our Thanksgiving meal regardless, will turn the occasion into a Thanksgivukkah feast!

Another staple of our family’s Thanksgiving is carrot pudding, which sounds bizarre but tastes divine. Try it instead of (or in addition to) candied sweet potatoes.

I considered the idea of making fried pies for dessert, but decided against it. I think there will be enough food that a simple apple or peach pie will do just fine.

Aunt Sandy’s potato latkes
This is my aunt’s recipe. When I make this, I use the grater on the food processor, and then stick it back in with the chopping blade to more finely puree only part of the mixture. This allows the outside to get that crispy texture, but the inside to cook nicely and have the right potato taste. I also use canola oil. Oh . . . and I use cheesecloth to squeeze out extra moisture from the potato/onion mixture before adding the other ingredients.

6 medium size potatoes
1 small onion
2 eggs slightly beaten
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Olive oil and vegetable oil mixture
   
Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.  Place in cold water.  Grate potatoes and onion in blender.  Strain and place in mixing bowl.  Add eggs, salt, pepper and baking powder.

Place oil in pan and heat.  Place potato mixture into strainer and allow the balance of the fluids to drain off.  Place potato mixture onto tablespoon and drop into hot oil.  Fry.  Place on paper towel to drain.

Can be made in advance and frozen. Heat on racks in oven.

Mumsy’s dirty applesauce

When Goldilocks was little, she used to call it “dirty applesauce” because of the color. I promise you, it’s not really dirty. It’s gorgeous.

Rome apples
Water
Sugar
Vanilla

This recipe could not be simpler. Wash and quarter the apples – do NOT substitute another type of apple. I promise you it will be worth it. There’s no need to core the apples, though you can release any seeds that are easily accessible.

Place apples in large pot. Add ¼ cup of water. Cover pot and turn to medium heat. Move the apples around occasionally with a long wooden spoon, checking to make sure the bottom is not burning. You may need to add a small amount of water at some point, but if there is liquid at the bottom, don’t do it.

Cook until apples are mushy. Remove pot from heat, and using a ladle, scoop apple mixture into food mill or ricer. Run apples through food mill, scraping through the peel and seeds occasionally ensure there is no apple goodness hiding within. Process all of the apples and any remaining liquid through the food mill.

Now taste the applesauce. Depending on your apples, you may need a little sugar, you may need a little more sugar . . . or you may not need any at all! Add sugar and vanilla to taste.

Look at the beautiful color of your applesauce. Mmmmm!

Serve warm, or cool. Can be frozen.

Homemade applesauce

Carrot Pudding

12 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 beaten egg yolks
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup brown sugar
1 ¼ cup flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cold water
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 small jars baby food carrots

Blend in bowl: butter, sugar, water, vanilla, flour, salt, lemon juice, egg yolks, and carrots. Add baking powder and soda. 

In another bowl: beat egg whites until they form peaks. Fold into mixture.

Bake in 1 ½ quart greased baking dish at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. 

Serve warm.

Happy Thanksgivukkah! *Menorah*

Mumsy

© Copyright 2013 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798782-Tasty-Tuesday