*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798889-Thankful-Thursday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#798889 added November 28, 2013 at 1:08am
Restrictions: None
Thankful Thursday
It is far often too easy to get caught up in what is going wrong, than it is to sit back and look at all of the things to be thankful for.

I have much to be thankful for, this year.

My oldest child, at 19, has grown so much as a person since beginning college last year. Strength of character, determination, and a newfound ability to face challenges rather than hiding from them have all led Dr B to find pleasure and success in school. Another remarkable change that has taken place since Dr B began college is that our relationship has become so much stronger. There was a time when we talked past one another, and struggled to find a meeting place. Now, Dr B calls on me for support, asks questions, listens to the answers, and is grateful for the replies. Dr B tells me I’m the best mom ever, and wishes everyone had a mom like me. Somewhere along the way, I did something right. Somewhere along the way, I went from being the woman who just didn’t understand, to the mom who understands when no one else does. I don’t know how much shifting was Dr B’s and how much was mine . . . but I am eternally thankful that we’ve found that comfortable place in the middle.

Goldilocks has matured a great deal since starting high school in the fall. I am thankful for the wonderful class that all freshmen take their first semester at the high school, called FIT (Freshmen In Transition). It truly made a world of difference in helping Goldilocks learn how to navigate the waters of high school, how to keep up with the school work, how to remain focused, and how to organize time and information. There is no question that Goldilocks will always be full of drama – we’ve discovered that this is where she shines, in fact. I am grateful for the passion she has developed for acting and theater, and thankful for the fact that she can take theater courses at her school. She needs to shine, and this has given her the confidence to do so. Right at this very moment, I am thankful that Goldilocks has cleaned her room, and is offering to help out with the rest of the house, in the morning. *Wink*

Monkey continues to amaze me on a regular basis. I am thankful for his wonderful sense of humor and wit, and for his bright and bubbly outlook on life. I am extremely thankful that he has the same amazing teacher that he had last year, who knows him, and knows what makes him tick. He continues to push Monkey to strive for more, and Monkey thrives on it. I am thankful that we live in a world where food allergies are understood, and where there is medication that Monkey can keep with him at all times to ensure his safety. Every time Monkey discovers a new food that he can eat and enjoys, I rejoice! Yes, the little things are important, as well. I am thankful for the terrific friends he has made, and through him, the friends our family has made, as well.

Without a doubt I am thankful for my husband, who is a remarkable support for me, and for our family. When things get rough, he is my rock. He is my cheerleader when I am writing, and he is my shelter when I am struggling. Without his support, I would never have finished writing an entire trilogy. He has faith in me when I simply cannot have faith in myself. Because of my husband’s generosity, Dr B and I were able to travel to Greece this past September. Words cannot express how thankful I am that we are in a position where I can travel on occasion, and that my husband is willing and happy to remain home with the children so that I can scratch the travel itch. It was my fourth trip to Greece, but my first with one of our children. Sharing the experience with Dr B was remarkable, incredible, unforgettable!

I cannot write a post about thankfulness without mentioning the incredible friends without whom I would be lost. Moving across the country three years ago was tremendously difficult. As I struggled, my online friends helped keep me going. And the wonderful friends I have met since moving have made this once strange place a home. I am thankful that we live in a town where we can feel connected. Going into our favorite little wine bar on a Thursday evening and knowing we will be greeted by name, warmly, and see friends – this is something we never experienced before moving out here.

And lastly . . . I am very, very, VERY thankful that we live in a place where it does not snow. *Wink*

© Copyright 2013 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798889-Thankful-Thursday