*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798966-Freaky-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#798966 added November 29, 2013 at 4:23pm
Restrictions: None
Freaky Friday
I definitely do not understand the draw of Black Friday sales. I avoid retail establishments like the plague after Thanksgiving Day. Thankfully, 98% of my shopping is complete, since Hanukkah has already begun. I may order a few more things online for Bob, but my plan is to not set foot in anything other than a grocery store between now and the end of December.

Yes, I understand that people are looking for the best deals; they want to make their money stretch as far as possibly over the holidays. But yet again I’ve heard stories of people being trampled or beaten for a cheap item, or even a parking spot in a shopping center.

Have we forgotten already the purpose of yesterday’s celebration? Yesterday was about giving thanks for all that we have. Today is about beating others out for a chance to own a dozen things one does not already have?

Honestly, I would not WANT a gift that was acquired at such great personal expense. I don’t care to have the latest and greatest electronic goodies.

My email was flooded this morning with BLACK FRIDAY DEALS!!!! Delete, delete, delete, delete. No thank you.

I do not celebrate Christmas, but it seems to me that the huge hype of Black Friday sales takes away from the meaning of that holiday, as well. Toys! More! Santa! Candy! Gimme gimme! That’s not what the holiday is about.

For my family, there was a time when the kids were all about the Hanukkah presents. The gimme gimme attitude upset me greatly. Our tradition is that the children get a gift every day after we light the candles. But between our gifts, and the gifts that grandparents sent to be doled out every day, it was piles of gifts for eight days in a row. The first time I heard “is that all?” my blood boiled. No, no more. We’re not doing it that way. The next child who says “is that all?” does not get a gift the following night. Harsh, perhaps  . . . but we’ve lost the spirit of celebrating, and focused on the material. I understand the excitement of opening a gift. More than that, I love the excitement of choosing the perfect gift, and watching it being opened.

But it’s time for us to move away from the mad chaos of the “gimme” culture, and remember that whatever we celebrate, there’s an idea behind that holiday or celebration that should not be forgotten. For those who celebrate the holidays in a purely secular manner, the meaning is no less clear – it’s a time for tradition and family. For those who lack family with whom to celebrate, and I know there are many of you out there, create your own traditions, find family of the heart. Give your time and efforts to a shelter, or invite a friend to share a meal.

When you grow older, what will you want to remember – the bitter cold mornings when you stood in line at 3 AM waiting for shops to open, or the time spent with family and friends? I hope it’s the latter.

© Copyright 2013 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/798966-Freaky-Friday