*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799123-A-splash-of-reality
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#799123 added December 1, 2013 at 6:14pm
Restrictions: None
A splash of reality
As many of us begin, or continue our holidays of conspicuous consumption, it brings sharply into focus those for whom this holiday season is not particularly merry or bright.

A friend of mine in a private Facebook group got up the courage and wherewithal to leave her abusive husband the other day. She and her children are struggling so much, as they each cope with the trials that come from such an uprooting, with no where to go, and no one to count on.

I’ve been thinking about her a great deal over the past few days.

Today I drove up to Target, and at the entrance to the parking lot was a woman with 2 small children – one in a carrier and the other in a stroller. I don’t know her story. I don’t need to know her story. All I need to know is that she needed help. Before I went in and filled my shopping cart, I ran to the café and purchased 2 containers of milk, 2 juice boxes, 2 fruit squeezes, 3 bananas and 2 packages of freeze dried fruit. And a paper bag, so I could give her the whole bundle. I ran out and gave them to her, then went back in to do my own shopping, filling my cart with a few pieces of clothing for myself, a couple of new notebooks for Goldilocks, piles of groceries, and prizes to give out during our holiday party slipper contest. As I pushed my overflowing cart back out to fill up my vehicle, I noticed that the woman and her 2 children were still there. I grabbed the second box of Cheerios I had purchased, as I was tossing the groceries into my trunk. As I pulled up, I opened the window and handed her the box.

My husband occasionally takes the kids on road trips, and that usually leads them to a McDonalds, because we know their chicken nuggets are a safe food for Monkey to eat. If he sees someone outside, he’ll invite them inside and buy them a meal.

I’m not writing this for accolades – I’m writing it because I think it’s so important to remember how fortunate my family and I are. The very fact that it was such a simple thing for me to do – buy some extra food, and give it to someone in need – means that I am fortunate indeed. Not everyone is so fortunate. We may not know their stories, but if we can fill a belly, or bring a smile to a face, I think it is an honor to do so.

What can each of us do, this holiday season, to bring some cheer to someone in need?

© Copyright 2013 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/799123-A-splash-of-reality